SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasonko

Hot 3rd floor loft - ductless split, better ducts?

11 years ago

I'm evaluating whether to get a ductless split or if another solution is available for a hot 3rd floor loft space. House is in Northern Virginia with hot summers.

I have a third floor loft, adjacent to an attic space and below the roof, that gets extremely hot. House has an open staircase from the first floor, so the loft gets rising heat throughout the house and radiant heat from the roof and attic.

Loft and 2d floor are currently served by a 2.5 or 3 ton heat pump that sits in the adjacent attic along with a lot of the duct work. Heat pump is 7 years old. The duct work generally seems insulated, straight, and properly installed in the attic space. The loft has 3 vents and 1 return in it to compensate for the heat, but still extremely hot in the summer. There is another return on the 2d floor and the rooms down there generally have one vent.

Options appear to be to better seal and insulate adjacent attic, evaluate duct work and insulate or otherwise fix issues with the duct work, get a ductless split for the loft, put in larger HVAC system, or some combination. A window unit would not work for the space, unfortunately.

Is a ductless split an option that makes sense? - it would appear to almost certainly work, but would be compensating for the overall poor design of the HVAC system and loft build. My instinct is that it doesn't make sense to put a bandaid over something without first fixing the real problems. Would sealing up the attic make a significant enough difference considering that hot air within the house is always going to rise into the space through the open staircase?

It's obviously hard to tell without seeing the house, but any thoughts would greatly appreciated!

Comments (5)