SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

What's the main difference between: paycheque and pension cheque?

joyfulguy
16 years ago

On the day that you started work, you had brains and hands at work ... and no money.

The person on the paycheque treadmill must have sufficient physical, mental and emotional capability to go to work as regularly as required and do what is required while there in order to qualify to continue to receive it.

That's the personal end of the deal.

And the employer must keep that job here rather than outsourcing it somewhere in a low-wage area ... and not have his product die on the vine (not be a maker of buggy whips when cars came in).

Or sell out to another agency, who then revamps things ... making your job redundant (i.e. non-existent).

And not go bankrupt.

On the day that one retires, one has brains and money at work ... and no hands.

In the situation involving a pension cheque, all that the recipient needs do to continue to qualify is ...

... stay topside the grass!

And hope that the government and the carrier of a private pension stays solvent.

Which more or less means that the pensioner has a guaranteed income.

That tells me that, if the total of those pensions is enough for me to live on, I can take some larger levels of risk, especially of the short-term kind, than many advisors have traditionally recommended regarding the types of investment that seniors should contemplate.

If the senior is reasonably literate regarding financial matters.

Learning how money works, and how the tax system relates to one's affairs, is an interesting hobby ... **that pays well**!!

If, during one's working years, one hangs on to some of those dollars as they pass by, and puts brain and money to work effectively ...

... quite likely one can retire early!

As one approaches retirement, (if not having done so earlier) if s/he has any interest in financial affairs, it should be useful to take some courses teaching about shrewd investing.

Good wishes for a marvellous New Year, everyone.

ole joyful

Comments (4)