SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pbrisjar

Craigslist adventures + IKEA cabinets questions

pbrisjar
15 years ago

So, Hubby has (finally!) discovered the joys of Craigslist. In the past few days we have acquired:

A large set of Cutco knives (cheap).

A HUGE piece of really nice butcher block (cheap). That will become my island cart, a worktop for Hubby's wood working area and we'll still have enough left for something else.

Bad pic of the above:

{{gwi:1566920}}From Craigslist Acquisitions

Two shelving units in rough shape but should be rescuable (free).

A wine cabinet in the same condition (free).

A Makita planer (cheap).

Two large lower cabinets and one large upper cabinet (free).

Here's where the questions lie. I *think* these are Ikea cabs but I'm not certain. There were some UPC stickers on them but I couldn't read them and now they are buried. The hinges are Blum, but the drawer glides are not the soft/auto close kind (again I didn't have a chance to look at the labeling. Also, they're even cheesier/flimsier than I recall them being the one time we went to look at them. There is tons of chipping around the screw holes in the melamine, edge banding coming off, etc. I'm not too concerned about that because they were free and will be put to good use in our garage.

One of the doors. You can see the hinge over to the side:

{{gwi:1566922}}From Craigslist Acquisitions

Bad pic of the chipping:

{{gwi:1566924}}From Craigslist Acquisitions

So the questions: Do you think these are indeed Ikea? Is there some lower-grade line of cabinets that they sell that isn't the kitchen line that so many here rave about? Are the adjustable feet for the bases standard or an upgrade? These don't have any feet at all. If they are Ikea, how does the mounting thing for the top cabs work? I see an indent, but it doesn't look sturdy enough to hold up this very large (45" wide and almost just as tall) and heavy cabinet.

The indent:

{{gwi:1566926}}From Craigslist Acquisitions

Sorry the pics aren't better. They're kinda crammed in our garage in a corner for now.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm