SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iowagirl2006

Not a Nutty Doughnut.--Blarney Stones -yum

iowagirl2006
16 years ago

The thread about Nutty Doughnuts got me to thinking about Blarney Stones - have you ever had them? It is basically white cake squares, frosted and rolled in crushed peanuts.

They sell them around St. Pat's Day. I think the homemade ones are better than the bakery ones - I don't like most bakery frosting - too sweet.

Here is a recipe for them from Taste of Home, I make a cream cheese frosting that isn't as sweet as this recipe though:

Blarney Stones

4 eggs

1-3/4 cups sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour

3 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup milk

1/4 cup butter, melted

FROSTING:

2 pounds confectioners' sugar (about 7-1/2 cups)

2/3 cup milk

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/8 teaspoon salt

6 cups finely chopped peanuts

Directions:

In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla until thick and lemon-colored, about 4 minutes. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture. Beat on low speed just until combined. Beat in milk and butter.

Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Cover and freeze overnight.

For frosting, in a small mixing bowl, beat the confectioners' sugar, milk, vanilla and salt until smooth. Frost the top and sides of frozen cake squares; roll in peanuts. Place on wire racks to set. Yield: 2 dozen

Here is a link that might be useful: Blarney Stones - TOH Recipes

Comments (5)