who is in the hvac business??

energy_rater_la
13 years ago

While I know what a great forum this is,

the one thing I find disturbing is that the

newbie poster has no idea of who is a home owner,

who is a handyman/woman and who is actually in the trade

of hvac.

Other forums have a pro designation, but most don't allow diy. I can see it from both sides..and admit that this was the first ever forum for me..back in 2003?

One of the things I've always liked about this fourm is

that we can walk the homeowner through simple diy..like sealing duct work. While I shy away from advising anyone

other than a certified tech to change parts

because of warrenty and safety issues..that is just my POV.

I've seen a lot of jobs double in price after some one who thought they knew how to fix something finished and a pro was brought in to do the job.

Been there a few times myself.

so I'll go first:

I'm not in the havc trade. As my screen name states I am in the energy efficiency/rating field. I have attended trade school for hvac and load calcs,and have an epa card (fwiw) but do not have a hvac business. my business are efficiency,

diagnonstic services and efficiency retrofits.Most of my education is in the building science and better building practices. I started in low income weatherization then energy ratings..got pushed into the hvac side by client demand..and have slowly found my niche in existing homes.

(almost full circle! just not the lowest income with no money to afford fix up.)

tia for the feedback. It would help to clarify in my mind who actually does hvac for a living.

note that this is not to discount the folks who have learned from their own installs..just to have a point of refrence.

Comments (6)