SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adamtrask

Gut says one thing - dollars say another

adamtrask
15 years ago

I have two proposals in hand. I have already eliminated because of price comparision to identical equipment from other installer.

All installers reccomend increasing tonnage from 3 to 4 tons. System is old and the individual who services unit has made the same recommendation for several years along with need to replace due to age and general condition of unit.

Proposal 1 is for American Standard 4.0 ton 13 seer R22 and matching coil. Same make American Standard 80kBTU Gas Furnace. New System less thermostat, and duct work installed is $5916.06. Checked out BBB one complaint last 36 resolved service issue.

Proposal 2 Rudd 13 Seer R22 4.00 and coil and new furnace.

New thermostat, adds an additional ceiling return in a distant part of the house and one more vent in a larger room. Everything same except additional return, vent and thermostat and Rudd equipment $7800. total.

This individual has been my airconditioning man for several years and I know him well. I have a certain element of trust in him.

Please tell me is it worth $1900 to go with #2. If you can make me see the difference price wise Amer Std vs Rudd and the additional vent, I can place a value on my relationship with my guy. That is what is weighing heaviest on me .

Last thing- How much should I reasonably expect to see in increase if I go from 13 to 14 Seer to new coolant on a price request

Thanks very much

Comments (3)