SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshbeller

Read Before you buy a Trane Unit

joshbeller
14 years ago

Below is a letter I sent to Trane and they responded with sorry there is nothing we can do.

To Whom It May Concern

Let me start out by saying I was once about a month ago a huge supporter of Trane and would tell all of my friends and family about how great my Trane air conditioner was. Now after what has happened the last month I tell all of my friends and family about how disappointed I am with Trane and how I will never purchase another one of their units.

Three summers ago near the end of the summer our central air conditioner stopped working. We made it through the summer with a window unit I purchased at Wal-Mart and a lot of fans. The following April I decided to do research to come up with the best solution to replace our central air conditioner. I read articles on-line, talked to friends and family, consulted Consumer Reports and everything pointed to Trane. I knew I was paying a little more but I was getting a quality product that would last. I had 4 companies come out to my house and give me a quote on the new Trane unit. They all had their advantages. I thought Design Aire in Bridgeton Missouri had the best knowledge, price, and experience to do the job. I checked them with the Better Business Bureau and with a friend that had used them for a job. Everything seemed great. Seth was our sales person and he was awesome. He told us everything we needed to know and recommended we go with the Trane XB13. We live in a very small house and this would be perfect for what we need. The first two years using the unit was excellent! Our electric bill went down and our house was always cool even on the 100 plus heat days outside. I was very happy. When my parents were ready to purchase a new AC and heater last year I recommend they go with Trane and Design Aire. I did this for several friends as well. I had no problem recommending Trane and Design Aire.

Then came the night about a month ago when my once beloved Trane Air Conditioner decided to break. St. Louis had just gone through a early patch of high temperatures. When Monday came I called Design Aire and the soonest they could send someone out was that Friday. My wife stayed home from work. The Design Aire service technician diagnosed the problem as a blown compressor and quoted a price of $550 to install a new one. I was shocked that a two year old air conditioner would blow a compressor. Seth at Design Aire even said he has never seen this happen before. They were able to work with me a little bit on the price. But everything has still cost be pretty close to $550. As I write this 4 weeks later the air conditioner is still not functional. We are waiting on one final service call from a Design Aire Tech on Friday.

I am not a wealthy man but do alright. $550 is a lot of money for me. Plus not having air for 4 weeks is a major inconvenience. I thought the name Trane represented exceptional service and quality. Due to my experiences I have found that to be dead wrong.

I wanted you to know about my experience. I do not think it is fair to have to pay such a large amount of money for something that is a manufacture defect. I am very disappointed in your company. Unless Trane makes this right and corrects this problem I will never use Trane products again. I will tell anyone who will listen my story. I will post my story online for all of my friends and family to see.

Thank you for reading about my experience.

Comments (19)