SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
needsometips08

DIY adventures - who knew moving a window could be so complicated

needsometips08
14 years ago

Just thought I'd share some of our DIY adventures with ya'll.

We moved our kitchen window over 17" and bumped it out 6". We also did it pre-permit. First lesson learned - get the permit before doing any work so they can approve the plan.

The inspector dropped by when we applied for the permit and didn't like how the header was done. We already fixed that - it involved a heavy beam and 4 men.

We also didn't know that the wall was a "shear wall" so we needed to put in a bunch of extra bracing to shore it up against earthquakes and lateral wind forces. Evidently if it wasn't a shear wall, this wouldn't have been an issue. It took DH 9 days of research to find out what we needed in terms of seismic retrofitting, and the inspector couldn't believe we didn't give up and hire someone because it's not a straight forward fix, and the fix is so customized to every individual situation. The guys at Home Depot can't help with this one, and the inspector can't design it for you! Once my DH got the correct plan conceived, turns out it was $150 for 3 foundation anchor-type things....whew, spendy little pieces!

But the craziest part is working with a drill bit that's almost 3 feet long, drilling down through our kitchen floor (inside the wall) down 10" of free space filled with insulation, through the 2" mud sill, and then 10" into the concrete foundation wall. We are almost $100 into drill bits as one broke on re-bar, one bent, and so on! It's been quite the adventure.

So for the DIYer's out there moving windows here are my 2 bits of advice:

1. get the permit first

2. make sure to find out if it's a shear wall

We were right on target for my $200 budget for window moving until this earthquake business popped up, and in the end it will be 3x that!

Happy DIYing :-)

Comments (4)