SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

I tried your food suggestions on Mickey........

alisande
14 years ago

I posted recently that Mickey (15-year-old cat, currently sequestered for treatment of a leg injury) wasn't eating enough to maintain his weight. I tried several of the suggestions posted for me.

The first was baby food meat: beef, chicken, and turkey. I was careful to get the kind without onion (actually, I didn't see that kind in our stores), and added it to his canned food. Mickey seemed to like it, but didn't eat much more than usual.

The second was boiled chicken. I used white meat, which was all I had in the house. Maybe I should try it again with the richer dark meat. Mickey liked it a lot, I think, but it was hard to tell how much he ate because he spread so much of it around the floor.

The third was Fancy Feast. This gets mixed reviews from Mickey, but when it was good, it was very, very good. His favorite by far is the Ocean Fish Feast (flaked). The first time I gave it to him he ate the whole thing overnight. I was so excited......this was the first time he "cleaned his plate." Since then he hasn't quite achieved this, but it's still a good bet he'll eat most of it.

Other Fancy Feast flavors, like Trout Feast and Tuna Feast, weren't so well received. They look fake to me, which could possibly explain Mickey's less-than-enthusiastic reaction.

I'm starting to feel discouraged about his condition. I'm certain he's depressed from being in the bathroom all this time (seven weeks, maybe?) and having to wear that collar. I wish he would heal faster. His leg was doing better before we had that setback, and we haven't progressed back to that level yet. I soak his leg once a day and give him one or two periods of what I call Intensive Petting (without the collar) each day. I change his bed every few days and keep the floor clean. I don't know what else to do.

My son cleaned and painted Mickey's rooms in the barn--partly for Mickey and partly because he uses them, too. He found lots of holes that a rodent could have used to enter the space, and he filled them. I just hope Mickey can get back there to enjoy it.

Susan

Comments (36)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert