SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treasureagain

Problem Solving Geothermal Furnace Auxiliary/Emergency Heat

treasureagain
11 years ago

Problem Solving Geothermal Furnace Auxiliary/Emergency Heat

Hi, I am trying to problem solve my Trane Geothermal furnace. This Trane unit along with the horizontal ground loops were installed in 2000. Overall I have liked the unit and the heat it provides. The downside has been trying to find someone to fix it when it has issues.
Most of this winter I have run the unit in the Auxiliary setting. I am located in Iowa. In the past, if the ground source heat pump has not been able to keep up, the electric coils would automatically kick in to compensate and keep the house warm. This winter when the ground source/compressor can not keep up, the compressor shuts off but the fan keeps blowing. It is set at 72 degrees. By morning it will be 65 degrees. It's a COOL 65 degrees since it has been blowing cool air most of the night.
I have had it looked at. The repairman first thought I needed a new compressor, but changed their mind when I heard it kick in as they were telling me it needed replaced. Then they thought it is because my well loops are not enough to keep the unit running properly. They told me to talk to the well diggers and see about having the system flushed and having more antifreeze added to the unit. I talked to the well diggers and then thought that adding more antifreeze wouldn't make that much of a difference. They guessed that it was my well loops. We had a dry summer and they said that the ground had probably separated from the loops and was keeping the ground source from working properly. I have dealt with this unit for almost 13 years. I know that we have had different years with different conditions (early frost, really cold year, dry year, etc...), and so I have learned to deal with it. But, I understand that is what the Emergency heat/ electric coils is supposed to be for, to compensate for when the ground source can't keep up, for whatever circumstances. I have in the past, in really cold conditions, or when the ground source can't keep up, turned it completely to the Emergency heat mode and let it run from that for a week. That often solved the problem, let things catch up, and then it worked better. But, with doing that this year, the furnace still runs coolish air in the Emergency heat mode. The cold air blowing is bothersome and also I think it's a sign that the furnace is not running properly.
In 2008 I had the same issue, that in the Aux. heat mode, the compressor would stop and the fan keep blowing cold air and not running on the electric coils. The repairman came and checked it over, and said that a wire on the electric coil unit was loose and when he reconnected it, it worked properly again. I have asked the repair people (from the same place) about that and they tell me it's not an issue, although I'm not certain they really know.....
I'm frustrated since I have had a cool fan blowing on me for several months. Also, it's the beginning of April and the furnace is still not running properly and we have had some warmer days where the unit can catch up. I am told to change big things that are costly, yet there is still no guarantee that it will run properly when all of those expensive things are changed, as they really might not be the issue. I am told by the repairman that when my furnace is in the Auxiliary setting that if the compressor can not keep up, the electric coils will not come on and compensate for that. I do not agree with that, as I know that is the way it has worked in the past. Also, the information I read and the way Auxillary heat is explained in the furnace manual, is that in this setting the Ground source is the main source of heat and the electric coils is the backup. They even suggest you leave it in this mode if you leave the house or go on vacation, etc...so that the electric coils can kick in if your ground source doesn't keep up, and that way you are not left with freezing pipes.

Geothermal has been GREAT when it works, but when something needs fixed, it is a big problem to find someone to fix it. Any suggestions on how to try to get this fixed, would be appreciated! Also, am I correct that if in the Auxiliary mode setting, that if the ground source/compressor can not keep up, the electric coils should come on and compensate?

Comments (7)