SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
work_in_progress_08_gw

Any Candadians - Experience with Shouldice Center in Tortonto?

DH is currently considering having an inguinal hernia repair at the Shouldice Hernia Center in Canada. Yes, we live in the US, and our health insurance will not cover the cost should he go forward with having it done at Shouldice. The actual cost associated with going to Shouldice isn't all that crazy, as long as the results are legitamate as described by everything I've read about hernia repair at Shouldice.

The "Shouldice" model is one which is NOT done by laprascopy, and does not use the mesh commonly used here in the States. Two things that are a dealbreaker for DH with regard to having the hernia repair here in the States. I'm walking the fence on this idea, and looking for anyone who has either had personal experience, or knows someone having had that type of surgery specifically at Shouldice. There are many copy-cat type procedures, but they are not actual Shouldice repairs.

I'm finding very minimal negative comments on the internet, mostly patients unhappy with their food while staying at the Center. Nothing of substance with regard to their procedures and outcome.

Any experience info would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Comments (9)

• amicus
    11 years ago

I don't have personal experience from having been treated at Shouldice, but I worked with one man and have 2 neighbours who were referred there by their doctors. They all had successful hernia repair and were happy with the outcome, with no complications. Here in Ontario, it has an excellent reputation and I've heard that people from other provinces are even referred there by their doctors, as it is a facility dedicated to the specialty of hernia repair.

• work_in_progress_08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry about the typos in my subject line. Posted before my first cup of coffee.

pickyshopper - thanks so much for your post. Looks like that's where DH will have the repair. Just a bit nervous not knowing anyone having any firsthand knowledge of the credibility of Shouldice's credentials.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Why doesn't he want laparoscopic surgery? Isn't it easier on the body? Just curious.

• User
    11 years ago

I have had several friends who have had surgery in the US and it was with the replacement mesh and done laparoscopically.One is a fellow cyclist and also a fire fighter. He is , as you can imagine, extremely active and has to be able to carry heavy weight in his work as a firefighter in Atlanta. All had perfect recoveries. My friend balked initially at the recovery times but we all encouraged him to listen to the Dr. He did and made a great recovery and is back at work at the firehouse and no ill effects.

I am curious, as an RN , what your DH sees as the problem with the surgery here in the US. c

• tinam61
    11 years ago

Two members in my family (male) have had the surgeries with the mesh. I'm not sure that either were laparoscopic though. Both did well and have not had problems. However, in recent years, I know of a few people who have had trouble with the mesh that is used in this and other surgeries, particularly bladder repair, etc. In the surgery your husband is going to have, will they use mesh? Just curious, the mesh would be a consideration to me.

tina

• User
    11 years ago

Just read about the procedure on the Canadian website. If I had read it first I would not have had to ask why someone would go there for that surgical repair of a hernia. Wow...sure sounds way better and safer and way more medically sound. I can't imagine why Dr in the US haven't adopted this decades ago. c

• blubird
    11 years ago

Somewhat ironically, I have to ask, though, am I the only one old enough who remembers when the mesh hernia repair tecnhnique was introduced to the US as the "Canadian" method?

Helene

• work_in_progress_08
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input. Trail hit it on the head. Once DH found Shouldice, there really wasn't any other intention in his mind. DH doesn't want to have laprocopic procedure, and he does not want any mesh, either plug or patch which are the gold standard here in the US. He hates pain meds and lives on exercise, vitamins and is careful about what he puts into his body. So, he doesn't want the polypropaline (sp?) patch & plug that are offered at the surgeon with whom we've consulted with here in the US, and just about anyone in the US who has hernia repair, gets a mesh patch.

Shouldice does not give general anesthesia to everyone, many are just done with a block and twilight, a straight incision/four way stitch up of the hernia area needing repair(NO MESH). You do stay at their location for a few days after, that is the thing that insurance in US doesn't want to pay for. They want you in and out in one day if possible.

We have researched the repair options since it would be preferrable for this to be repaired and done for good. I have read about and watched too many videos of the mesh repair gone awry. I've listened to many an acquaintance who have had the same hernia repaired more than twice. DH is an active person who enjoys the gym and other activities that require some amount of lifting. So, DH will be making the trek to have the repair done the way he feels makes the most sense for him.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shouldice Center for hernia repair

• slflaherty
    11 years ago

I don't have any experience with this clinic, but I just wanted to say that this post makes me feel really good. So many times people put down the Canadian healthcare system, thinking that because we have free healthcare, we must use back-alley, archaic methods. It makes me happy when people acknowledge that this isn't the case.