SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zaphod42_gw

Substituting yarns, finding yarns and picking yarns

zaphod42
13 years ago

Hello all! This is my first time posting to this forum. I just picked up my knitting again after a three year hiatus (aka grad school). I'm pretty much still a novice. My greatest problem right now is finding the right yarns for the right project and substituting a yarn for the one they use in the pattern. I've had some bad luck with projects in the past (not getting enough yarn, not the right size, gauge issues). The worst experience occurred when a sales clerk actually helped me pick out a substitute yarn and it was the ABSOLUTE wrong choice. Anyway, can anybody recommend a chart, hint or process for translating back and forth?

Also, anybody use Zitron Nimbus worsted weight?

Another project calls for Blue Sky Alpaca Bulky Natural. I've got a third project with Morehouse Merino Bulky. Could I substitute Classic Elite Duchess or Princess or another Classic Elite for any of these? I've knitted with the Classic Elites in the past and have liked them, but am open to other suggestions. I tend to pick expensive yarns because I don't know any better so if there are recommendations for less expensive alternatives I'm open to suggestions. What on-line sellers have the widest range of products and/or best prices?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions