SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jejvtr_gw

Whole house fan Whisper Aire vs. Tamarack

jejvtr
18 years ago

I've done so much research on this in the past now have to come down hard on the decision -

We have 2000 sq ft Dutch Colonial revival (1930) no central air - during remodel project I would like to include a whole house fan. due to the age of home w/ little storage space I use the walk up attic a lot so wanted a smaller type fan that will not take up too much floor space w/frame out.

We are in CT - and do have window units for bedrooms - this would be nice to cool the house down in summer - I keep the house closed up during the day in summer and open up at night. We just had all the old double hung windows refurbished so that will help with ventilation.

I was getting ready to purchase the Whisper Aire WHSP 2000 made by Air Vent Inc compact, twin motors, 5 speeds 26" x18" , fits btwn joists insulated (r25) 2200 CFM's

Just spoke to manufacturer and a nice sales rep told me these are VERY NOISY - like sitting on the runway 75 decibels on low 87 db on high -

ANyone know what the db rating converts to in sones?

*** the rep did mention that the quality of the fan & what it does is excellent and engineering is actually doing some installs w/getting the fan off the attic floor framed up 4-6" which significantly cuts down on noise.

- She agreed it probably cut down on some of the efficiency of the fan but did not know to what degree.

Power Requirements: 115 volts AC, 60 Hz

Power Consumption: 440 watts

Dimensions: 26 inches x 17 inches

Maximum Airflow: 2,200 cfm

Manufacturer Warranty: 5 years

Weight: 34 pounds

Origin: United States (assembly), Germany (motors

On to Tamarack relatively similiar size as Whisper aire - 1600 cfms,

Fan Voltage/Power: 115 volts AC 60Hz, 276 watts

Lift Motors Voltage/Power: 115 volts AC 60Hz, 6 watts

Cover R-Value: 22

Sound Level: not rated, but substantially louder than the 3 sone rating of the HV1000 (perhaps 6 to 7 sone).

Air Flow Rate: 900 cfm (low speed), 1600 cfm (high speed)

Rough Opening: 14.5" wide x 22.5" long (cover requires 11" clearance when open)

Manufacturer Warranty: 3 Years

Weight: 27 pounds

Approvals: UL Listed

Origin: United States

Manufacturer Warranty: Three Years

I have 3 windows in the attic which convert to aprox 10 sq ft of exhaust ventilation which someone told me you need to cut in half making it 5 sq

I know whisper aire only requires 2.9 sq & tamarack was going to get back to me on that requirement.

WHICH DO I CHOOSE?

Whisper aire - noisy ,but more effective - frame it away from floor 4-6"

OR

Tamarack - less effective but quieter.

THANKS

Eileen

Comments (9)