SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

Knit my first sock

17 years ago

I just knit my first sock, a baby sock. It was supposed to be size 1 year, but as others here have said, it was much much larger. So I will try making a smaller version of the pattern. I have two questions:

1) I did not have much of a hole at the gusset join, but it was detectable. What is the advice some gave here for that/ I seem to remember picking up an additional stitch.

2) When I pick up stitches for the gusset, do I pick the stitch up under the top two threads of the stitch, or between the two threads? Trying to go for a smooth join and attractive appearance too.

Thanks for advice. I have to say that I used my homemade double pointed 5 inch needles, and they worked great. I rubbed them down with more hand cream and if I felt a little rough spot, took the smoother side of my emory board to them.

I also have experimented making needles with those free chopsticks you get. Sharpened them in a pencil sharpener, smoothed them with fine sandpaper and rubbed them down with hand cream. Not bad.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
More Discussions