SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
feli123_gw

Which AC option sounds best?

12 years ago

Re: my inquiry of yesterday regarding buying a new HVAC system for my 1900 sq ft ranch house in Virginia, I checked what we currently have and it is a Trane XB furnace, manufactured in 2007; an ADP coil (2.5 ton I think -- how do I check what is date and tonnage?); and a 2 ton 38TKB Carrier Air Conditioning Unit (may be as old as '91). There is also an Aprilair Humidifier 760 from 2001, which is in the HVAC closet, but was not connected by previous owners -- not sure if it works.

I think we need new duct work in the attic but most companies we've talked to are pushing a new (variable speed) furnace to solve our AC problems (weak air flow, especially in rooms farthest from AC). We have gotten three proposals so far:

- Carrier furnace, #58CUA070-12 (80% AFUE)

3 ton Carrier air conditioner #24ACC630 with matching coil

No duct work ($7,000)

- Trane XV80 furnace

Trane 2.5 ton XL15 air conditioning with 3 ton coil

no duct work (($9,000)

- 3 ton Carrier 24ACC624 performance 16 air conditioner with coil (CNPV3014 or CNPVP2417) and replace supply ductwork; $8800 if we also get new 80% 2 stage, variable speed gas furnace (Carrier #58CVA070-12) and Infinity thermostat; $6700 if we keep Trane furnace and only do air conditioner, coil and ductwork.

What makes sense here? On one hand, maybe it makes sense to do everything at once and get the guaranteed 16 seer rating; on the other hand, I hate to throw away a furnace which is not that old and seems to be working.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor