SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

Making my own dp needles

sheilajoyce_gw
18 years ago

I have been making wood double pointed needles for my sister and me so that I can get the lengths I want and so that I won't have so many problems with stitches slipping off the ends of the needles, like I do with my old metal ones. I am very happy with my needles and my only problem is in finding dowel in enough small sizes.

I like 8 inch long dps for making baby hats because I find I do not drop stitches so easily--not at all, actually. And I like to make 6 needles in each set so I have a spare if one breaks or gets lost in the couch cushions.

I just experimented in making 4 to 5 inch short double pointed needles for knitting socks, and they are great too. The shorter lengths make for greater comfort and less awkwardness in knitting socks.

I have revised how I make these needles. I buy dowel for around 90 cents for a 4 feet length. I use my yard pruning shears to cut the lengths of the needles. Then I sharpen the ends in a pencil sharpener. Next, I run very fine sandpaper over them to smooth out the shaft of the needles, not the points.

Then I work on the points, which are rather ragged. I dull the points with the coarse side of an emery board, and shape the point with the coarse side, trying to get a looooong taper to the tip of the needle. Then I smooth the tip with the fine side of the emery board and finish with a little rubbing of the fine sandpaper. Finally, when it seems smooth enough, I rub handcream into it. I keep the emery board beside me the first time I make something with the needles, and touch up any burrs as necessary as I go along. I also might add another coating of handcream. By the time I finish my first little project, the needles have smoothed from use as well as my touch ups and are a joy to use, partly because I made them myself for so little cost!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm
More Discussions