SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroles_jungle

Make some of your own topiary frames

caroles_jungle
21 years ago

I am a newbie to topiary... and I am sure my ideas are not new but it might save some of you a couple of dollars. I cannot afford expensive frames and have very little artistic talent but I do have an active imagination. Last month I saw a neighbor kid dragging his hugh teddy bear down the street. The bear was as big as the little boy. So I thought why not go to the thrift stores for stuff toys to use as molds for frames! How difficult can it be??

I found bears, elephants and lots of other toys I can wrap wire around for a topiary mold. I found a kid size toy plastic train that was falling apart but will stay together for a wire mold too. There were other objects I can also wrap with wire... like a cracked swan planter, a broken garden statute. The cost is $1.00 to $3.00 with some of the larger ones up to a biggie $5.00 purchase.

I bought green plastic coated fencing wire (at Home Depot) to be placed over the larger objects and these molds will go over a live bush. On the smaller molds, I will use chicken wire... stuff with moss... and wrap with fishing line if needed. The chicken wire will be spray painted green before stuffing. Have you ever wondered where those nurseries and internet sellers buy the moss to sell to you? Well they buy from a florist supply house. Some of them will sell to the happy homeowner too. I found I can buy a hugh 3.5 cubic foot bag of Sphagnum moss for a lot less than I would have to pay for lots of little bags at Home Depot.

A friend has a life size stuffed tiger and a life size stuffed alligator!! She said I could make a mold from these too.

Have you ever really looked at a large tomatoe growing basket frame that you use to help keep your tomatoes off the ground? Well put the round side into the ground over a bush and you will have a cone shaped bush in the end. There are objects all around you that you can use for a mold to make a frame.

I told my neighbor I wanted to plant him in my yard. After laughing, I explained I wanted to wrap him with plastic coated fencing wire and place the mold over a bush in my garden. It will be done in two pieces, front and back... and tied together with wire. I wonder what your kids would say if you planted them their very own bush in your yard. It is only limited to your imagination on what topiary images and forms you can put in your yard.

I have arthritis in my hands and a not so good back... so it would be very difficult for me to use heavy gauge wire. I am limited to fencing and chicken wire... plus this project will be ongoing for a long time. But some of you out there could use the heavy gauge wire on a larger object... such as an old car or boat etc. I wonder if anyone has a car growing their yard?

Comments (41)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH