SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

? edging on a flannel receiving blanket?

sheilajoyce_gw
19 years ago

I am making probably my third receiving blanket with edging for a gift. The directions for the edging pattern call for folding the edge over twice and basting the hem. (It is supposed to start with a 1/4 inch fold and then you fold that raw edge into the crease of the fold to end up with a 1/8 inch fold. I never manage to get it that narrow a hem.) Then you are to use a size 6 steel crochet hook and pierce the second folded edge with a row of closely spaced single crochet stitches as the base row. My problem is that I struggle to pierce that fold, and so compromise and I go beneath the hem onto the blanket itself and make my first single crochet. And this time I did not baste the hem in but used a running stitch that I will leave in. So is this alternative going to cause a problem over time? How do others manage this first row of single crochets? I have heard of machine stitching the hem and then making the first row of stitches through a loop of the machine stitching, but I do not want to do that. Comments?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions