SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Mom's birthday party...ideas?

neetsiepie
13 years ago

We've finally narrowed down the party for Mom, it'll be at our house, and we're going to surprise her. She was expecting my sister & family to come up this summer, but my DSis told her that her DD was just staring high school this week, her older DD just got a job and they couldn't do it.

My DB has been priming mom by telling her that he's been gone from home so many weekends with his DS's baseball and coming up here to the concert, he doesn't have any more time off.

The reality is, they're all pulling her leg! But they want to do it here in my town (it's conveniently off the freeway). So now we'll do a big BBQ, and all the kids & grandkids will be here. Plus one of my cousins is trying to see if she can get up here. I've also invited my Mom's husbands daughters & their families (can't get used to calling them my stepsisters as I really don't know them).

My cover story is that I will have vacation the week following her b'day and will come to the coast for a few days and we'll celebrate then. Meanwhile, her DH has told her they need to come to my town for something, and he's made their motel reservations. We'll get mom over here by him telling her they will come pick up some tables we have for them. Then SURPRISE!!

I'd like ideas, please from you smart entertainers on food. My kids & their SO's are all vegetarian, the rest are all carnivores. I'm planning burgers, but what else? I saw that watermelon salad, and it looks good, but I'm afraid most of the crowd (except my kids!) is basic fare...but its sooo boring. So please, help me with food ideas.

We're going to decorate the deck with streamers & balloons and have plenty of cameras on hand. I think she'll be tickled and mad, too, that we'll have tricked her.

Comments (5)