SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Have you used B-B creams?

Oakley
11 years ago

Below is a link if you've never heard of this cream, like me.

I saw someone talk about it on TV a few minutes ago (that ABC afternoon show) so I looked it up.

Apparently Loreal makes two kinds. One has "youth" in it which is what gives that dewey glow I'm seeking. The other is dryer.

If you've tried it, do you like it?

Here is a link that might be useful: BB Cream

Comments (40)

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

Yes. I have been using the Garnier BB cream, and really like it. It has pretty much replaced my moisturizer, sunscreen and foundation. The only problem I have is that I am somewhere between the light/medium and the medium/dark. So I use both. First I use the lighter shade around my eyes, then I mix in some of the darker and use over the rest of my face. I even use it on the backs of my hands for sun protection and even out the skin tone there. When I run out of the Garnier I may try the L'Oreal.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

L'oreal owns Garnier! lol. I'd stick with Garnier.

If I use it, do I not use my regular face powder and use blush only? That's where I'm confused. Or no blush?

And I wouldn't use concealer either, would I? Do you use it as makeup, or like a moisturizer?

I'm going to check and see if Garnier has the "youth" cream which is the one that gives the dewey glow.

Oh, it said the cream makes your face look better after a few weeks. Why is that? I wonder if I can use my new retinol under it.

• Related Discussions

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4d826b3127ccec81b6770773200

Q

Comments (3)
    OOPS...What a mess...it has been a long time....this a pic of a lamp planter I made a couple years ago...the first pic was the planter planted...sorry...(hiding my face)Mary Here is a link that might be useful: http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4da05b3127cced7a4aeb2064800000016108AaM2zJq1ZNQe3nwk
    ...See More

Using Kosher salt for B&B's

Q

Comments (4)
    Morton's Kosher has anti-caking ingredients; Diamond Crystal Kosher is pure salt. If you're talking about adding salt to the pickling syrup for flavor, you can go by measure. If you're salting the cucumbers before using, then go by weight equivalents. 1 cup of canning and pickling salt weighs 220 grams or 7.75 oz. so you can figure an equivalent amount with other unadulterated salts. Morton's Coarse Kosher Salt weighs 7.7 oz. per cup (roughly equal to canning and pickling salt) but Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt weighs only 5 oz. per cup so by measure you'd use a lot more. Carol
    ...See More

(b)Email really not working for lots of us(/b)

Q

Comments (8)
    Dear Bolderdash, Thank you for the quick reply. I have been on the receiving end of complaints about large websites. Therefore, I understand that you are not setting the policies but you are receiving the complaints. I am going also send this message to via the Letters and Comments link http://letters.gardenweb.com/letters/mailwebm.html. We would like an answer from someone at iVillage in a timely manner A Can you or someone at iVillage explain what browser settings and computer settings are the source of the problem? B. Can you explain this a little more? Did ivillage turn off email due to a security issue? C. I will let people on the Florida Gardening Forum know of the Letters and Comments link. How do we get to the Letters and Comments page from Gardenweb? Again, I have been on the receiving end of complaints about large web sites for many years, so I can understand that you probably have a large workload & almost everything is a complaint. However, please remember that the people who have remained with Gardenweb are very faithful customers who stayed when others have left. Our complaints are not directly aimed at you, but at "iVillage". Thank you, Lynne
    ...See More

Have any of you used either F&B's Joa's White or Archive?

Q

Comments (1)
    I haven't used eithwr but found pictures: Joa's White http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=pfwl&cp=19&gs_id=16&xhr=t&q=farrow+and+ball+joa's+white&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=600&wrapid=tljp132646966935108&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=MFIQT7qVPITo0QHwxsWuAw Archive http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=pfwl&cp=19&gs_id=16&xhr=t&q=farrow+and+ball+joa's+white&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=600&wrapid=tljp132646966935108&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=MFIQT7qVPITo0QHwxsWuAw#um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=farrow+and+ball+archive+227&oq=farrow+and+ball+archive+&aq=2S&aqi=g-S3&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=6219l6219l2l12079l1l1l1l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=deed73873c968c4d&biw=1024&bih=600
    ...See More
  • terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

Sometimes I use a bit of regular foundation over it in certain areas, and occasionally I use a bit of powder over it. I usually also use blush too.
    It's funny because when I first apply it I don't notice a difference in my complexion, but after a few minutes it looks great. The Garnier one that I use seems to be targeted for "anti aging", and is called Miracle Skin Perfector. I also use it on my chest if I am wearing something a bit low cut.

Here is a link that might be useful: Better link to Garnier

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just looked up how to apply it, the article said to do the under eye area first then let it dry. Then add it to the rest of the face and finish it off with powder to set it.

But my question is, if you put powder on your face afterwards, doesn't that take away from the dewey effect?

The article also said no matter what the instructions say, to always use moisturizer under the cream unless you have oily skin. I'll probably do that in the winter but not summer.

Can't wait to try it out! I'm also in the process of lightening my hair, letting it grow out a few inches then putting in long layers. I get this way every Fall, or thereabout! lol

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

OT, but since you're talking beauty products, I have to share about the foundation I've started wearing and absolutely LOVE. It feathers on with a brush and looks so natural. Just kinda blends away my imperfections and truly gives an airbrushed finish. The best thing (for me, anyway) is that I'm not a greasy mess by mid-morning, as I have always been with any other foundation that I tried. I don't even have to touch up my makeup at the end of the day if we go out for the evening! I do use the Plasma Flawless Finish Powderless Touch-up Skin Perfecter if I have a hot flash and start to perspire. This stuff rocks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Skinn Plasma Foundation

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sunny, is it a loose cream or packed? I looked at the picture and it looks like it's firm where it needs to be applied with a sponge. If so, I use something similar and I love it! I stopped using liquid foundation years ago when I discovered the the powder foundation.

Terriks, I just spent the last 30 min. researching BB creams and ended up ordering Missha's. It has excellent reviews on Amazon. Only thing is, it takes 17-30 days to receive it! lol. I also bought Olay's original moisturizer to put under the cream. I've always been a fan of Olay anyway, so this way I can be sure I'm using a light moisturizer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Missha's

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Oakley, the foundation kinda has the consistency of a mousse. It has a whipped quality to it and is applied with a brush. I only apply very little, and it covers beautifully. I use the Medium shade all over, then highlight with Honey Tan which gives a touch of a glow. The Skin Perfecter is solid - seems to have a waxy consistency, but goes on very smooth and matte - and is applied in little dabbing motions with a sponge.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I had never heard of BB creams when I saw the Garnier product at the store. It was on sale so I bought it on a whim and really liked it. I was just checking out the reviews of the Missha product on MakeupAlley.com and it looks like a good one!

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

Oakley, Did you order it on Amazon? What color did you get? I think that I'd probably use #23. It's a good price on Amazon, so I might try it becuase I'm getting low on the Garnier stuff.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got the light beige which is shown on the page. I had a hard time deciding what color. I'm fair skinned but not the very light color.

I got a notice from Amazon this morning & the BB Cream has already been shipped!

I know you'll understand this, but I sure hope it keeps the circles under my eye's covered for when my eye starts to water. It seems my eye's water when I'm in stores like Walmart which uses a lot of fluorescent lighting.

Don't forget, I found a website doing reviews and they said to put the cream under the eyes first and let it dry, then do the rest of the face.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Roc Resurfacing Disks came in this morning and I tried one out. I can see a very subtle difference! One side is smooth and the other side has a mild, rough texture to exfoliate. It takes makeup off, but I bought it for the ingredients which helps the skin tone and wrinkles.

The reviews are good but I had to laugh at some of the negative one's.

I did read to cut the pads in half to make them last longer and that's a great idea because they're pretty big!

The Roc Deep Wrinkle Night Cream also came in, it has Retinol. So I think with those two products and the BB Cream, I'm going to look FABULOUS! lol!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Reviews

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I ordered the Missha BB cream on Amazon, and got a shipping confirmation too. I decided on the #23.
    I've been using the Roc night cream with retinol for a while now and like it. I buy it in a 2 pack at Costco, and sometimes they have a coupon for it.

• User
    11 years ago

Slight hijack...Sunny - does the medium shade have a yellow or pink undertone? My mom's looking for a new foundation and, from what you're saying, sounds like it would be great.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I would say the Medium shade has a very slight yellow undertone. I'm just loving this stuff! I did some manual labor outside yesterday when it was incredibly hot and humid, then did my cardio routine indoors after that - and I swear, my makeup still looked good when I was finished!

• tinam61
    11 years ago

Never heard of the BB creme.

I've been using retinol for quite some time also and use ROC night creme and eye creme. They are a bit drying for me so I do not use them daily.

I wear moisturizer and sunscreen daily - year round. I think sunscreen is about the best thing you can do for your skin - to prevent aging.

Thankfully, I do not have wrinkles (yet). I want to keep it that way and was also interested in the texture of my skin. I also had a dark spot (sun spot) that I hated!!! I used another product for a while that totally faded that spot. If I really look for it, I can just barely see a bit of the shape. I can't remember that product, but I posted about it here on one of the anti-aging threads. It was a bit strong for me, so after I used the samples, I switched to the ROC.

• denali2007
    11 years ago

I have been using bb cream for a while now and love it. It feels so light. I watched several videos from you tube and there is a girl, Jen who shows how they all look.

I have used Boscia and liked it, then came across Stila one day in Ulta. The sales Associate was wearing it and had set it with Stila transparent pressed power. She looked wonderful(she was 20 something) so I bought it. It's my favorite.

Here is a link that might be useful: bb cream videos

• tinam61
    11 years ago

Interesting Denali! So BB actually means "blemish balm". In reading a little more about this it seems it is (or was first) used by those with blemishes, scars, dark spots, whatever - things to cover up. I looked at one of your videos listed and the gal said she liked it better than foundation. I'm glad you posted your thoughts as I would have thought something with this coverage might be heavy - but you say it is light. I'll have to look up the Stila product.

Interesting the things in makeup, skincare, etc. that are coming out of the asian countries. I've seen alot about the foot peels too which mainly come from Japan I think. Would love to try those!

tina

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

she looked wonderful (she was 20 something). I had to laugh.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I thought that was amusing too Cyn. ;)

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

May I ask a question about "Pressed powders"? Some of you here have mentioned them. It's pretty much always bright, clear and sunny out here in the Santa Fe to Albuquerque area. Because of that, I think, it's easy to see when a woman is wearing some of the liquid makeups and most (?) powders and they look obvious and artificial. As a result, I stopped wearing either of them many years ago. For those of you who do wear them, how do you keep them from being noticeable or is it just our super-clear, bright sun out here that does it? Is there some secret to wearing them during the day? As it is, I pretty much stick to a good sunscreen and if I'm going out, a minimal bit of cream blush (and mascara and lipstick).
    Thanks!
    Lynn

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's not the sun. lol. Some women just overdo the powder and foundation is all. The key is to put powder on lightly, whether it's loose or pressed, and blend it in good with the neck.

I can hardly tell I have any makeup on when I do that, it's great for quick errands because it does wear off after a couple of hours.

When I'm going to be gone for a longer period and need to keep my makeup looking fresh (until I get the BB Cream!) I use a cream powder with a sponge. It hides blemishes and such better than regular powder, but it dries fast and leaves the skin fresh looking.

It all depends on how a person applies their makeup.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I apply the powder then take a tissue and do a light buff, getting rid of any excess. Looking in a magnifying mirror will reveal too much of anything, including those nasty flaws. Make sure you have your big girl panties on before getting out that mirror! Lol

• tinam61
    11 years ago

What's not the sun? Are you referring to my comment about sunscreen? You were talking about wrinkles, aging and ROC. That's why I commented on sunscreen!

Lynn - I didn't even know you could still get pressed powder. I hate a powdery look. My skin leans toward dry so I have to be careful. That said, I do really like the mineral makeup - which is powdered! But you apply it differently - and with a different type brush. It's like you push/rub it into the skin. Once I started using a retinol product, which improved my skin texture, I stopped with foundation. I use a cream concealer where needed and then a light application of mineral loose powder (I think it's called finishing powder. I can't for the life of me understand why you'd wear both mineral foundation and the finishing powder!!). I always use moisturizer - which i think also helps with how the powder looks. Instead of using a tissue as Patty suggested, I do better with a large brush to get rid of any excess.

tina

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

Thanks Ladies :~) My 18 y/o DD tells me that I need to learn how to apply eyeshadow now that she's away at college. I never wore the stuff unless she occasionally snagged me before I headed out for a dressy evening someplace and put it on for me (LOL). I'll give your directions a try on the face makeup and powder, although for the life of me, I still can't imagine me wearing it much during the day. But, at least now I'll have a better idea of what to do and NOT do!

Patty: funny story. I'd asked for a makeup mirror for my birthday a few years ago. We always open up our b'day gifts in bed or at the breakfast table. I turned it on and flipped it to the 8x magnification side and almost fell out of bed trying to get away from that view! I've since gotten used to it, and it truly is a great help, but you're right . . . those first couple of times were a bit of a fright (LOL)!
    Lynn

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tina, I was replying to Lynn about the sun. And pressed powder has made a huge comeback, especially the powder cream that I mentioned, because it's lighter on the skin than foundation, and isn't as pore clogging. Makeup artists use pressed and loose powder all the time. Actually it never went off the market.

Lynn, on days I wear light makeup and go out for errands, instead of putting eye shadow on I simply curl my lashes and put a little powder on my lids and it actually makes me look younger!

I bought a nice eyeliner pencil but I haven't had the courage to use it yet. When I'm home, I wear nothing on my face.

And darn! My BB cream didn't come in today! I was wanting to wear it tomorrow.

• msrose
    11 years ago

Well, I bought the Garnier one yesterday since I had seen this post. I then wathched the videos denali mentioned and she said something on there about the american ones not being as good as the asian ones, so I may have to order the Missha now and compare.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

msrose, which shade of the Garnier did you get? As I mentioned above I have both shades and blend them to get the correct color for me.

• msrose
    11 years ago

terriks - I got the light/medium. I just now put it on and it looks like a good color, but I'm not sure it looks any different than my normal foundation.

• User
    11 years ago

I remembered this thread today... Thank you for the info Sunny!

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

Lynn...wait until you start using the 15X mirror I have. Sometimes even with my reading glasses.

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    11 years ago

I am desperately looking for a BB cream w/out sunscreen. I am allergic to most all chemical sunscreens. I get a itchy weepy rash within minutes of application. Right now, I use a lightweight zinc oxide sunscreen everyday with Bare Minerals powder over, but I would love a dewy look. Since I turned 40, my skin has gotten very dry and the powder evens out skin tone, but looks artificial sometimes.
    So, does a non-sunscreen BB cream exist? I looked at Sephora, but no such luck.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Angc, try googling for a cream sans sunscreen, or check Amazon. Hope you find it!

Okay, the cream came today. Around 2pm I put it on. I wasn't sure about it at first because it does the same as my powder. I didn't have to use any under eye concealer which was great. Very silky feel on face.

About an hour later I crawled into bed from exhaustion from the past week. An hour after I got up I looked in the mirror, and it was still fresh looking!

Combined with the RoC treatment I've been using the past week, my face looks better than ever. All of it is inexpensive which makes it even sweeter. :)

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

angc, check out the Skin79 website. They a a lot of different BB creams, and a chart showing which ones have different properties, including sunscreen/no sunscreen.

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    11 years ago

That chart is perfect! Too bad all the non sunscreen products, except one, have glitter/shimmer. I'll do some research now.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I got my Missha BB cream #23 in the mail today, and while the the shade is not too dark or light, it is a bit gray. I'll have to see how I like it. In the meantime, I saw an ad for Jane Iredale mineral BB cream and read reviews of it on makeupalley. It sounds like it's an excellent product. Now I'll have to find some in my area to check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jane Iredale Glow Time BB cream

• Lyban zone 4
    11 years ago

Does anyone wonder why the prices on amazon for the most part are so much lower than missha usa or missha canada sites.

I would like to believe they are not fakes but why such a difference in prices.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I ordered on Amazon, and mine was shipped direct from Korea.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Terriks, it's supposed to look gray at first, then it oxidizes after a few minutes.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

Thanks Oakley, that's good to know.
    My son is living in Korea now. If I like this stuff I'll have him see how much it costs there, and if he can send it to me.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lyban, I've noticed the same thing with other products too. For some reason, if you buy products from the maker they're always higher than if you go to other stores. Doesn't make sense, does it?