SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_ma

heat pump lineset replacement cost

sue_ma
14 years ago

I am looking at replacing my old Trane heat pump with a Payne model that uses the new R410A refrigerant. The contractor says I need to replace the lineset; he says the additional pressure due to the new refigerant has been known to cause explosions that can put a fist-size hole in the wall. Sounds scary! He is adamant that flushing the lineset is not acceptable.

He has proposed running new pipes down the exterior from my attic to the outside heat pump compressor and encasing them in a conduit. The charge for that would be $4500.

My problem is that I live in a condo which is a rehab of a historical building; I doubt the condo Board or the local historical board will approve running external conduit.

My contractor says there is no way to trace where the existing pipes are in the walls... and he can't give me a bid on replacing them inside my unit.

Does anyone have any idea of whether the inside pipes can be traced and how much more expensive it might be to replace them and patch the walls? Would it be sufficient to instead just break into the walls at the connections and replace the soft solder with brazing?

Thanks for any advice,

Sue

Comments (3)