SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lil_tee

Carrier vs Trane

Teri
13 years ago

Hi everyone!

I posted a little about this last week, but have additional information based on your questions and suggestions and could sure use some input. It's quite intimidating making such a large purchase on something I know so little about!!

Replacing 18 year old 3 ton system - Atlanta, GA - two story house - 1800 square feet - furnace is in the attic - will most likely do zoning next year - no heat pump.

(I'm very cold-natured so I'm ruling out heat pumps after doing some research. I know I'm giving up some cost efficiency, but I think I would be disappointed with the not-as-warm-as-a-furnace air. My gas bills aren't really an issue, so hopefully I'm not doing myself that much of a disservice.)

Carrier System

$8115 (with 1 yr maintenance plan $149, $350 tax credit, $1000 rebate - $6616 after the math)

Furnace - Infinity 80, 58CVA070, variable speed, (3 stage?), 80%

AC - Performance 24APA736, 3 ton, 2 stage, 17 seer

Coil - ADP C36A142CS39

Thermostat - Infinity, digital and programmable

Media air cleaner - Honeywell

Other - reroute office duct, increase 8" return in hall to 12"

Talks a lot about this being a communicating system and having a 3 stage furnace.

Said we could use the Carrier coil, but the ADP one is much more efficient than the Carrier coils and they cause less static pressure inside the system.

Trane System

$8440 (with 5 yr maintenance plan $540, $500 tax credit - $7400 after the math)

Furnace - XV95, TUH2B060A93, variable speed, (2 stage?), 95%

AC - XL16i, 4TTX6036E, 3 ton, 2 stage, 16 seer

Coil - 4TXCB004

Thermostat - Deluxe programmable, TCONT803

Media air cleaner - Aprilaire

Other - reroute office duct, take off 6" from master and run direct, change 6 6x10 straight throw vents

The Trane dealer didn't recommend changes to the return ductwork (like Carrier did) because his calculations showed that the load is balanced.

Their current deal with Trane gives the 95% furnace for the same cost as the 80% so downsizing to the 80% won't make a difference in the price. When I mentioned my concern about water leaks (from a 95% furnace in the attic), he said that it will have an internal drain. Of course, I have no idea if that eliminates the risk or not.

Questions

1. Both of the HVAC companies have good reviews, seem reputable, and will likely do a good install. Taking the cost out of the equation, is either one of these systems a clear front runner?

Is one system better for the zoning I'm going to do next year or does it not really matter?
For the Trane, does the internal drain really eliminate the possibility of water damage with having a 95% furnace in an attic? Or is it still a furnace in the attic that produces water, so don't do it?
For the Carrier, is there really anything to this "communicating" system (with a 3 stage furnace)?
For the Carrier, is he right about the ADP coil being more efficient and causing less static pressure inside the system than the Carrier coils?

OMG! I hope that's not too much!! There just seems to be so much to consider, so I want to make sure I do it right. Of course, the Trane guy saying his system is the best and the Carrier guy saying his is the best doesn't help much! :-)

Any insights you guys have are greatly appreciated.

Thank you so very much!!!

Teri (a.k.a. lil tee)

Comments (15)