SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cupofkindness

Eating Disorders

cupofkindness
17 years ago

It is with a heavy heart that I begin this thread. It concerns someone who means the world to me, my oldest daughter, who may be in the beginning stages of an eating disorder.

My daugther, Miss Cupofkindness, is one of the most incredible people I know. For starters, she is absolutely lovely. Beautiful. Blonde, blue eyes, perfect skin. She's very bright: a National Merit Scholor, National Honor Society, AP Scholor, over a 4.0 GPA, all of this in a very leading edge, academically high-powered all-girls Catholic high school where she'll be a Senior in a week. She's talented: has held the lead in school plays, writes stories in her spare time, sings like an angel, draws - you know, one of people who is so gifted that you wonder how in the world they can figure out what to do in life. She's a little quirky too, she loves science and science fiction, birds, literature and theater. She has a dear group of friends who are very much like her.

She is an independent thinker who is unmoved by peer pressure. Boys are not central to her life at this point. She goes to dances, proms, etc. but mainly goes to be with her friends. She is a spiritual person with tremendous depth and wisdom. She prays regularly. Very self-disciplined. Miss Cupofkindness is a joy to be around: she is funny, productive, cheerful and in-tune to what is happening around her. She is the oldest of seven children.

It is a privilage to be her mother.

These past few months I've noticed that she's been very careful about her eating. Now she's the perfect weight. Many months ago it was about 138 lbs. A lot of muscle, because someone who wears a size 6 or 8 doesn't have any fat that shouldn't be there. But lately, I've observed that her portion sizes have gotten smaller. Not tiny, but she's probably eating less food than any of my other children. But I thought that she was being careful. However, yesterday I made a remark to her very casually, asking her if she might have an eating disorder, because I was concerned that she wasn't eating enough. She has lost 4 or 5 pounds this year. So now she's down to 133 or 134. Later in the day (still yesterday), she asked if I was joking. I told her that I wasn't, but that I was serious, that it wasn't a frivolous question. Last night, she told me that she struggles with feelings of bulimia, that she hasn't acted on these urges, but that she is thinking about it. I don't believe that she is binging. In fact, her behavior leans towards the anorexic, but she's not there either. Really, her eating seems to be in a good place for her body size. She's happy to eat foods that contain fats and carbs, and she does eat a good variety of mainly healthy foods. She avoids junk food and sodas. She eats three meals a day and a small snack or two.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts, experiences, and advice on this matter. I need to post this and start my day. Miss Cupofkindness will wake up any minute. Thank you so much.

Comments (37)