SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

House fire in our community -- caused by dryer

rosemaryt
16 years ago

Last week, a house in our area burned and collapsed - due to a dryer fire. The family got out in time, but it's still a tragedy and a loss.

My father-in-law was a Firefighter for 30 years and his son and I owned an appliance repair business for 15+ years and after reading about this house fire, I'd like to remind folks that you should have your dryers serviced/cleaned on a regular basis.

In the process of drying clothes (particularly cotton clothes) lint builds up *inside the cabinet* (where you can't see it) and that's when dryers become a fire hazard. Sometimes, birds build nests in the dryer outlet, obtructing the airflow and that can also cause overheating and fire. An appliance repairman will check the dryer's thermostats and operating temperatures.

I can't tell you how many times we saw dryers that had caught fire and somehow - by some miracle - the fire didn't spread beyond the dryer cabinet.

If your dryer is slow to dry clothes (drying times in excess of 50 minutes) or if the clothes are too hot to touch at the end of the cycle, and/or if you can't feel a strong breeze at your dryer outlet, you should have your dryer serviced.

Rose

Here is a link that might be useful: How to find a good appliance repairman

Comments (10)