SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sm1996

duraceramic grout cracking

sm1996
16 years ago

Have noticed similar posts on people who have a duraceramic floor and the grout is cracking. I too have a duraceramic floor with a recurring grout problem. The grout cracked within the first 5 months of the initial installation. The flooring contractor attempted to correct the problem by applying skimcoat of new grout over the old grout. The cracks in the old grout showed up in the "new" grout within a year or the skimcoat merely flaked flaked off. Has happened three times now. I was told by the flooring contractor that the problem must have resulted from using too much water when the grout was initally installed. They came out and removed a small section of grout around a tile--instead of being flexible like it is supposed to be, it is is hard as a rock. The floor (around 7500 sq. ft.) was laid down on various substrates: subflooring installed by the contractor, steps, and a concrete pad. Experiencing cracks on all parts. No tiles are loose, so it does not appear to be a problem with the subflooring or the adhesive.

The Congoleum rep wants to "open up" the cracks with a knife and shove new grout in the cracks and on top with another skimcoat. He seemed to indicate that they never have problems with grout cracking, but in reading other posts I find I am not alone. I do not think the rep's solution is going to solve the problem. I think the cracks are going to come right back and that the entire floor needs to have the old grout removed and new grout put down. Love the floor...hate the grout! Does anyone with knowledge on this product have any suggestions or know how other flooring contractors have attempted to correct similar problems? Thanks!

Comments (8)