SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tonyzzztony

Low humidity

tonyzzztony
17 years ago

I had a drum type humidifier which couldn't keep the humidity level more than 30 % during winter time. I was told to get a Honeywell bypass type which I installed last year and humidity levels didn't get any higher.

Humidifier isn't undersized and the water is constantly running so there is nothing wrong there. I went back to the store that sold me the new humidifier and now they suggest furnace doesn't run long enough so I either get a steam type humidifier or run the furnace fun 24/7.

It's been pretty cold lately so the furnace runs more than 50% of the time so I don't think running the fan 24/7 will help much. Seems like the only option is to get a steam humidifier. After inspecting the ductwork I noticed there is a 6" duct that brings fresh air from outside to the return plenum and there is another 6" duct that brings makeup air for the furnace. It't not connected to the furnace, its open and constantly brings in cold dry air even when the furnace it's not running. Could it be that there is too much dry air coming into the house and the humidifier can't keep up with the demand? If i really need a steam humidifier any suggestions which steam hymidifiers are the best?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor