SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
puttsthree

Amana A/C and Furnace options

puttsthree
15 years ago

I currently have a 3.5 ton Lennox builders grade A/C (not sure of the model number, but it is 10 SEER), that has problems/leaking (have had it partially filled the last 2 years with R22). The house has 2 levels and a basement. The sf of the 2 levels is 2600, and the basement 650. The current system once filled will do a fair job at cooling until the temperature gets above 95+/-, then has a hard time keeping up, and will run for 12+ hours constant (with the thermostat set at 77/78, the indoor temp will reach 82+ at times on extremly hot days. The furnace seems to do pretty good (80% effeciency, not sure of the model number, with single stage motor), and I have had no issues with it (the heater cycles normal when set on 71 and the temperature is 10 F).

I have had a few estimates (one for a TRANE, which was way too much, and a couple for Amana). At this point I am going with the Amana. One of the contractors, said the furnace was fine and that we could just replace the A/C. They all did measurments and each of the contractors recommended a 4 ton unit.

Amana ASX14 (4 Ton) A/C 14 SEER R-410A Refrigerant

My questions (not sure all of these options are even possible).

Should I go with a higher SEER (16) and replace the furnace to get a variable speed motor?

or

Replace the motor in the existing furnace (if possible) with a variable speed motor, and install the 16 SEER?

or

Install the 14 SEER A/C only?

or

Install the 16 SEER A/C only?

Comments (3)