SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lionheart_gw

Boiler Problems - Need Advice

I have a Smith Cast Iron boiler that is 11 or 12 years old, and is regularly maintained. It has been working well until this week.

On Tuesday night the boiler wouldn't come on and the temps were dropping. When I pressed the reset button, the boiler would come on for about 15 seconds and then immediately shut off. I did this 3 times and then called for service.

The service guy came out and replaced the ignition unit. In the process, he somehow leaked fuel oil over the boiler when he was working. By morning, the smoke alarm in the basement was going off, and puffs of smoke were coming from parts of the boiler. I turned off the breaker to the boiler and called for service again, only a few hours after they left the first time.

This time, the same guy arrived and he "cleaned oil-soaked boiler", replaced the filters and a part of the stove pipe (probably because he had spilled fuel oil on that part of the stovepipe earlier).

A few hours later the smell of raw fuel oil was getting really bad. I checked the basement and there were no fuel oil leaks. The house is old but the basement is clean and well lit. So we called again and another guy came out to service the boiler.

According to his work statement, he checked the exhaust, channel, and flues -- all were clear. There was good draw to the chimney. He cleaned the drawer assembly, adjusted the air, and set the electrodes.

Again the smell of raw fuel was getting worse, causing headaches, irritated throats, and nausea. Again we checked for leaks and none were found, but the boiler itself still reeked of fuel oil. It smelled like it was coming from the inside of the boiler.

I skipped calling the service company again out of frustration with their inability to recognize and solve the problem, and called a friend of mine who is a plumber by trade and works installing boilers and furnaces.

When he arrived and opened the "door" (not the door for the flame) on the side of the boiler, there is a metal plate behind the "door" and some sort of batting behind that. The raw fuel oil smell that was coming from that would almost knock you over.

The metal plate that sits in front of the batting was very loose. He tightened that up and almost immediately a large amount of the raw fuel oil smell started to go away.

He started up the boiler to let it run for about 30-45 minutes so that the raw fuel oil inside the boiler would burn off. He adjusted the fuel/air ratio. Almost instantly the remainder of the smell of raw fuel oil diminished even more, and it was completely gone shortly after.

The adjustments seem a bit feisty; if you give it too much air the boiler gets a little bit noisy and complains. If you give it just slightly less air, the smell of raw fuel oil comes back.

As we sat around the boiler while we were running it to burn off fuel oil, we started to see little puffs of barely noticeable "smoke" coming from the little door where the flame is located. As the boiler ran more it became heavier and smelled like burned fuel oil.

He ordered a gasket for the flame door and replaced it last night. He adjusted the fuel/air ratio again. Everything appeared to be fine. The boiler ran normally last night with no problems....until this morning around 9:00 am. All of a sudden, the smoke coming out of the chimney was black and smelly. The raw fuel oil smell returned again shortly thereafter. I called my friend again and he is on his way. Again, I turned off the breaker to the furnace.

It's amazing how these problems cascade into more and more problems. Started out to be a simple fix according to the first service technician, and has turned into different (but probably related) problems, all of which seem to escape resolution.

I've lost faith in the service company guys. Of course, they put the youngest and most inexperienced folks on "after hours", which is when most of these events occurred. I appreciate their effort and tipped them after each visit, too. They were nice guys, but looked at me like I had 2 heads when I told them about the fuel oil smell.

You could smell it outside, inside, almost everywhere and they look at me like I'm crazy. :-)

I'm not against getting a new boiler; I may do so out of frustration and exhaustion (sleep deprivation from babysitting the boiler). That could take a few days, and it's cold and has been snowing all week here.

Any ideas on what the problem could be or what to check next? Or, any suggestions on what brand to get for a new boiler? Thank you!

Comments (14)