SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dovetonsils

Outside unit continues to run

dovetonsils
10 years ago

Every now and then, the outside portion of my heat pump continues to run even though the house has reached the set temerature. The inside blower turns off. When this happens, there is nothing I can do to stop the outside unit short of closing the breaker and turning it on. Even setting the thermostat to off doesn't stop it. Then the heat pump will work properly for a couple of weeks. Happens in cold and hot weather.

I an very leery about calling a repair man. I got stuck a couple of times when I discovered a problem but the problem stopped when the technician came. I wound up paying a total of over $600 for changing the ouside fan motor because I was charged when he could find nothing wrong the first visit. I told him the fan stopped before he came, but it was running when he came and he had no problem charging me $130 for that visit plus the charge when the fan stopped again that afternoon.

Should I simply wait until I have a permanent failure? I don't catch the outside unit acting this way right away, can this damage it? Thanks

Comments (5)