SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

Jerusalem Artichokes

donna_loomis
13 years ago

For years I have wanted to try these, but have not seen them in any store in my area. Last week someone gave my daughter a couple of pounds of the tubers. I prepared half of them for dinner last night. I scrubbed them and hoped to peel them, but I quickly saw that it would have taken a very long time to do so, as some of the knobs were very small. So I left the skins on and sliced them thinly. I sauteed them in a little bit of olive oil and butter, salt and pepper. After they were nicely browned I added a splash of balsamic vinegar, 2 cloves of sliced garlic, 2 bay leaves and 1/4 cup of water, turned the heat down low, covered the pan and let them simmer for about 15 minutes longer.

In my opinion, they were delicious. Everyone else thought they were "okay". I knew they wouldn't taste as good warmed over, so I polished them off. Can you see where I'm going with this? Several online sources mentioned the "effects" of eating these, even in small amounts. I figured that since I have always been an avid vegetable fan, that this would not affect me as much. Suffice it to say that everything I read was right on. No pain, little odor, but definitely lots of noise. While watching television and knitting later in the evening I could have sworn there was a fetus inside me, making it's presence known. Oh, my!

I still have a pound of these left. I hate to let anything go to waste, but I know I can't eat these and go to work the next day. I suppose that if they last a week I'll fix the rest of them next weekend.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas to lessen the sound effects, LOL?

Comments (6)