SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rpfingsten

dry trap

rpfingsten
15 years ago

Hi guys... need you're input on a continuing issue I've come up against. Back in September I had both of my old Carrier heat pump systems replaced... they were 17 years old and giving me alot of trouble. I replaced them with two 18 seer Air Ease Units and I have to say having only had the units for one winter, they do a much better job of heating than my old carriers did. But I have had an issue that wont go away. I don't think it's an issue with the equipment, but rather the drain system on the 5 ton unit.. Right after the units were first installed, I noticed this " thumping or flapping sound " kind of like one of the filters was flapping back and forth. When I walked over to where the air handler is in the upstairs closet, It sounded like it was coming from the air handler itself... I called my hvac contractor who told me that it sounded like it was a dry trap. He had me go back into that closet where the air handler is, and in the closet he had some pvc pipe with a "plug" in it.. he told me to pull the plug out and pour some water into the pvc pipe... I did that and the thumping sound stopped immediately...he came out a few days later and did some work on the drain trap underneath the air handler, actually putting in a "t" with a piece of open ended pvc pipe sticking up... about a week later, same thing, more noise. Only this time when I pulled the plug to add some water, I noticed the second I pulled the plug on the pipe, the noise stopped. I added the water anyway and replaced the plug. But now it seems I have to add a cup or two of water about once a week or the thumping sound returns. Water always cures the problem, but I don't think I should have to add water to a drain system on a weekly basis do you? I thought of just leaving the "plug" off the pipe, but the contractor said that was a bad idea because you want to keep dirt out of there. I'm going to call his office back in the morning, but wanted to get your input to see how it compares. Let me Thank you in advance for your help

Roland

Comments (2)