SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goodbyekitty_gw

We need a new furnace, but what do we need to know?

goodbyekitty
14 years ago

We bought our 1976 ranch in June 2007. Last summer our AC went down and we had some more coolant put in. There is a leak somewhere and they advised us that since the unit was so old, we would have to replace it sooner than later.

Tonight, when I walked into the house it was very warm. At first I thought that someone turned the heat up but it's at the same temp it usually is. I keep turning it down but it still is pumping out warm air. I'm going to wait til my husband comes home but here it is:

We need a new heating & cooling system. What do we need to know? I've been reading through the forum and a lot of this info is way over our heads. We had a Lennox dealer install a new heat pump at our rental unit last year and our renter seems happy with the system. These are the same people who put additional coolant in our current system and advised us we needed a new system. It's an old Day/Night Heat pump.

Our house is 2222 sq feet. So if we get quotes, what do we need to be looking for and what should we be asking? I don't want to get an oversized or undersized unit, I am leaning towards Lennox only because I got a more trusting feeling from them than I did the Trane salesman when they came out to quote me for my rental unit.

Also, is the tax credit still available for 2010? Please type really slow and break it down in simple terms for me so that I can understand it. Thanks! =)

Comments (6)