SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

Do we need a new realtor?

newhomeseeker
13 years ago

My family is trying to sell a house to settle an estate. Up until last month a family member was living in the house but it is now empty. The house has been listed since May and so far NO offers. House is priced below comps. Is one of few homes for sale in the area in the country (3/4 acre yard). Home is in decent condition. (central air is the only thing that does work) While a family member was living there, she had four people ask HER to view the house. They had tried calling the realtor and would get no response so they went directly to the home owner. She showed the house on two occassions. The realtor was upset about this. Two of the people she showed it to verbally made an offer to her but she told them they would have to go through the realtor. One offer was full price and the other was $3,000 less than asking. The realtor claims that no one made an offer. both people came back three times with the realtor.

I decide to do a little "secret shopping" so I called the realtor posing as a first time home buyer who was already preapproved by a certain bank who was looking for a home in the country in xyz school district and had viewed the home on the internet.

First, it wasn't the realtor who was listed on the internet page that I talked to. It was someone else. Fine. She read the details from the internet (after I told her I'd seen it on their website and wanted more information) to me. The house has no pictures of the inside and I asked about this and the realtor just said that was "weird" and she had no idea what the inside of the house looked like. She said it wasn't listed as needing a lot of work so the inside was probably fine. But at no time did she suggest making an appt to see the home. She did say the place had a nice yard. That was as much marketing as she did. Instead the other TEN minutes of the phone call consisted of her telling me of great loan programs for first time home buyers (even though I repeatedly told her I was already approved with another bank) she insisted on giving me the name of someone to call (and to MAKE SURE I gave the loan offier HER name as the referral) about 3.5% interest home loans. She talked about these loans for probably five minutes (Longer than she talked about the house) and then without even asking if I wanted to see the house I'd called about she told me about other houses (in town, even though I'd said I wanted something in the countr) that were $30,000 more than the house I'd called about (note that this house is selling for less than $100,000) She told me that if I qualified for this loan program I could buy something "bigger and better". She really talked up the loan program and her friend at the bank which irritated me. I called about a HOUSE and told her I was already preapproved for a loan and working with my own bank. She then gave me her home phone number (no work number) in case I found a house I wanted to see.

Do we need a new realtor? Her contract is up next month.

Comments (8)