SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wildbill2374

Using the correct Honeywell Switching Relalys on Boiler System?

wildbill2374
14 years ago

I just had a new peerless hot water boiler installed in my home. The house is set up on a 2 zone system with 2 thermostats and 2 circulating pumps. The manual that came with the boiler says to install a Honeywell Aquastat relay (L8148E) and a Switching relay (r845a). The manual shows a schematic for the wiring of these relays. The service tech that installed this system claims that the set up shown in the manual won't be able to tell the boiler's burners to fire from both thermostats. He claims there is no way to tell the boiler to fire from either thermostat indepentently, I don't buy this. I am looking for someone to confirm what is written in the manual is correct and that both thermostats will fire the boiler and not just turn on the circulating pumps. The service tech did install the le148e aquastat relay, but then he added a ra89a switching relay AND a ra832a switching relay. He hooked 1 thermostat and 1 one circulating pump up to each switching relay and then JUMPED across the thermostat terminals on the aquastat so the boiler calls for fire 24/7! Someone please help me with this, when I contacted the owner of the company that installed this, he told me that if thats what his service man said, then that must be the way it is. In the mean time my boiler is firing all the time, even when the thermostats are satisfied! And even though the circulating pumps shut off when the thermostats call for them to, the heat from the boiler still travels through the system and continues to heat up the house....I have to go to the basement on a regular basis and manually shut the shut off switch off to stop the heat! Any point in the right direction would be greatly appreaciated! Thanks.

Comments (19)