SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crmays

New Construction - Cooling 365 Days a Year

11 years ago

We are getting ready to build a new home, the plans are drawn, the permit has been issued, we are just finalizing a few details.

Before I get to my question, I'm located in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. It can get hot and pretty cold around here.

In our new home, we have an equipment room. Looking at the heat load in the room, I'm needing about 1.5 tons of cooling capacity.

There are plenty of cooling system types out there... traditional split, mini-split, wall-mount, etc. etc. The catch is that most of these systems don't do very well when they are operated at low outside ambient temperatures. I've looked at server room style systems that can go into a corner, but there are only a handful that I've found that will take single phase power. Plus you have to deal with condensate drains in the room and it takes up floor space. Also these type of systems are pretty expensive.

I've also looked at hydronic high velocity systems like SpacePak and Unico. These seem to be better at handling low ambient conditions which might work.

If I go with a hydronic high velocity system should I do the entire house with multiple zones or just the equipment room? (The chiller would be way oversized for just this one room).

What other suggestions do the pros out there have?

Thanks for your input!

Comments (5)