SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mani_gw

Tinting red oak floors during refinishing

mani
15 years ago

We are having our red oak floors refinished this week by a contractor who takes a lot of pride in his work and seems very meticulous. He's already sanded all the floors and then asked us what color we wanted the floors. I thought he would use stains like Minwax or DriFast but instead he's using tints (brown, yellow, red, blue, etc.) mixed into Bona Mega (I believe) for the first coat and then into two coats of Bona Traffic.

My questions are:

1) Is this an acceptable way of coloring the floors? I would have preferred a true stain but the contractor is a crusty old guy who prefers floors natural ("I don't like uniformity in anything -- people or wood") and says that "I guess you want floors done by Harry, Joe, or Tom."

After the first coat it's a little light for our taste. We wanted something like DriFast Puritan Pine. Tomorrow we are meeting him to see how he can adjust the flavor and strength of the color.

2) We're also getting our maple floors in the kitchen refinished, unstained. Are 1 coat of Mega and 2 coats of Traffic enough for a kitchen?

Thanks so much.

Comments (3)