SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave_fl

Strange problem! Gas furnace cycles on, stovetop flames drop.

dave_fl
16 years ago

Greetings all, I've got a problem and would appreciate any wisdom you might have on the subject.

First, here's the background: In mid-December I had a gas professional come and install a gas-line for a new GE Cafe range. I have a gas furnace, gas water heater, gas fireplace and now a gas range (replaced an electric range). There were numerous problems running the new line that I don't want to get into here (ultimately ending with my Gas Company red-tagging my gas system due to a leak). The problems were resolved and all seemed well.

Now the problem: I live in Florida, so the furnace/heating system rarely gets used. It didn't occur to me to test both the range and furnace together while the professionals were here. Well, a few days after they left it got cold so we ran the furnace. This was around dinnertime and we were cooking dinner on the stovetop. To our surprise, the burners didn't work anymore! Actually, to be more precise, they work ... but at a greatly reduced flame output. I turned the furnace off, and we had our flames back. This problem is consistently easy to reproduce (its not a one-time problem).

And some other followups: I've had the whole house gas meter checked for pressure. The Gas Company says that it is "normal" (I believe he said it was 7 pounds on the manometer) and he has never heard of the problem. I've spoken with the gas professional who installed the line and he swears he has also never heard of this problem. I've spoken with my Heating and A/C professional and, guess what, he also swears he's never heard of this problem.

I am currently withholding payment to the gas professional who installed the line until this is resolved. I'd really appreciate if anyone has any input on what could be causing this and who could resolve it (A/C, Gas Professional, or Gas Company). Thanks!

Comments (9)