SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emagineer

Big, huge, pink stove

emagineer
17 years ago

I'm posting here since it really doesn't have to do with a kitchen remodel, design, etc. Just sharing an event.

My daughter is moving into an old victorian (renting) and it has a kitchen with the biggest "pink" stove ever seen. She hates it and was going to move it to storage, use her black one. Problem is, the stove cannot be moved through any doors. We are beginning to believe the house was built around the stove.

Her favorite colors are sage green and lilacs. She is legally blind, but has always been on her own, working and playing as hard as anyone. Colors can be visually a problem, she sees them differently than we do and what is used can be important to her daily living. We have a great time together figuring out ways to decorate her home, using the colors which work for her, going shopping to find things to fit....tis having a party for her rooms.

At first I suggested we go with black accents and do the 50s theme, but she balked at this idea. I don't always remember the color issue and what is needed. Although this time, the thought of 50s may have been off the grid.

While wondering through stores yesterday and seeing bunches of Easter decorating items, I realized Easter colors may just be the right solution. My daughter adored her grandma (my mom) and has had a picture of her cooking hanging over her stove for years. So, yesterday I reminded her of grandma's favorite holiday "Easter" and what fun it would be use the colors...which would also include the ones she personally loves. Thankfully, she loved the idea and we are going with it....the pink stove doesn't feel as ominous to her now.

I even found a pink toaster, all at once the stores are showing up with retro pinks, greens, blues in appliances and kitchen accessories. She isn't totally convinced of this, but we decided to add bunches of colors in yellow, green, lilac and that "pink" in fabric, art, etc. This is a perfect time of year to find the colors or at least get ideas for using them together.

Painting will be the first job in her sage green, then start adding to this. Hopefully her kitchen will be a fun place to be. And hopefully I haven't gone the wrong direction. But it sounds like another great decorating party.

Comments (30)