SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brucegz

New Boiler Time

brucegz
12 years ago

Well, time has come. My 27 year old Weil-McLein (forced hot water) is rusty, leaky, inefficient and I've made the decision.

The house was built with 5 zones on the boiler, a separate water heater (both oil burners) and a bypass/cutoff that allows the water heater water to pass through the boiler during boiler on season and cutoff during the summer. Not sure how effective that really is but I've used it anyway.

I've never replaced a boiler. The 1st quote I rec'd from 1 of our oil suppliers was for $6600 using a B10/6 Biasi B10 Boiler and F-5 burner. Any good? He told me that Weil-McLein isn't as good as it was 27 years ago. I come from the school that if something works well for 27 years, might be good to stay in brand.

He also suggested replacing my 10+- year old Bock 32E with a Vaughn (not included in $6600 quote). Not sure why I'd replace a perfectly good working water heater.

Any suggestions on A) How to pick who does the replacement (with 5 zones, somewhat labor intensive) B) What boiler/burner to go with C) Amy I missing any new technology designs that should be considered?

Many thanks!

Comments (10)