SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leibrook

Any comments about polyurethane oil based for handscrapped floor

leibrook
16 years ago

Well, it has been a nightmare since our washing machine flooded the house; the hose inside the machine that connects to the tub came off and destroyed our new handscrapped wood floor. They took up the old floor and finally, have new floors in. They applied a water based polyurethane last week. The floor was very rough and "splintery", one that you wouldn't want your toddler crawling around on. My friend was rubbing his hand on the wood and actually drew blood from the rough wood. They told us the water based product opened the wood grain. The flooring company has agreed to put on a polyurethane oil base. They said we need to wait two weeks from the last application of the water based product. According to what I read, it will take 8 hrs to dry and several days to get rid of most of the fumes. But the oil base poly seems to give a much better coverage for a handscrapped distressed floor. Can anyone please give me any tips. The floor company says one coat should be enough, as they initially applied 2 coats of the water based polyurethane. It will be our anniversary, so we will check out for 4 days while they work on it. What do you think? The water damage was June 21 and this is getting a bit old. All furniture stacked up and driving me nuts. Thanks for your help

Comment (1)