SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cottagecindy

advice on insulating crawlspace

cottagecindy
12 years ago

ok, I have decided it has got to be done. My floor feel like a skating rink. I've read links, old threads, googled the info.... so I'm puzzled.

one of the threads I read said do NOT put insulation batting between floor joists, I'll get mold. ?? Some of you may have read my other threads on my floor furnace I am not using.

So the crawl space and cellar, is all dirt floor.(someone put a piece of vinyl in the small area that you walk down to it's about 8'x8' --which is where the furnace sits snug up against the subfloor with an exhaust pipe heading out to the side of the house foundation wall.

so I can stand in this area maybe 7' tall. I store stuff there on some plastic shelves. it always smells musty down there. the rest of the house I'd have to crawl around sideways, on my back...and the dirt/rocks are not level. nails big rusty ones stick down from the above boards.the only air that gets into this space (approx 30'x30') is from the air leaks around the cellar entrance door and the 2 air vents-one on the north side, the other on the south side. the plumbing is under there. the walls.(plaster,lath board walls.--which I think are colder than the floor--some pipes and wires go up into them.

so what stuff should I go buy at HD-rolls of the insulation (I saw the link on the rolls with the liner on the outside facing and you just put wire clips to hold it in place. but that stuff is at a local nice lumber/door/window store. don't know the cost. It is a small cottage.

So, should i do this? crawl (watching out for nails and rocks --are there spiders down there? another thread said black widows breed in this environment.???

is it easy to install? If I hired someone it'll cost big money yes? I bet my landlord would do it but lord knows how much he'd charge. --he's tight with his money, does give me a break, but it is just a rental, and I''m not on a priority list unless something is broken .It is a low end rental but I'm making it better.

so is it doable, by me or even a pro. how do you get to the outer corners? barely 2' of crawlspace.I also read to cover the 2 vents down there --but I;d have to do it from the outside--the vents are where it's about 2' high in the crawl space.

any advice would really be needed. I may have to do it a bit at a time -money factor) and of course the rooms that need it the most have small crawl space, How close can i go to the floor furnace with the insulation between the floor joists. oh and the air vents are below the floor joists so technically i can put the rolls of insulation right above the vent??

thanks for all your help guys, I should have married one of you! LOL! my husband will not lift a finger on anything that has to do with this cottage. He lives in the garage ,separate building,totally insulated, warm....he has the washing machine, I have the toilet!

Comments (11)