SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dawnstorm

Going through household items

dawnstorm
19 years ago

In October of 1955, my parents moved into the house my mother still occupies. Naturally many items have been accumulated and donations to the church thrift store, and 'bequeathings' to two kids when they struck out on their own have only made a slight dent. Now she's torn between wanting to get the basement cleaned out and dreading it because of the memories it'll raise. I tell her that the basement isn't going to go anywhere, and that the County has not yet condemned the house as unfit for human habitation, but she's still beating up on herself for not doing more and more often. Don't get me wrong, she's gone through many things and either a) discarded them; b)given them to my brother/myself; or c) given them to the thrift shop. Some things she's kept for their sentimental value. However every time I go over there, she's bemoaning the fact that the basement is still cluttered. What can I say--if anything--that'll help her take the pressure off herself? Note: my mom still thinks that she should have the energy of a 30 year old--it's an old old complaint. News flash Mom: you're in you early 70s!!! You can slow down now!!

Anyway, thanks.

Comments (7)

Sponsored