SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigdoglover

Bellawood American Cherry AND Should I even be using solid?

bigdoglover
15 years ago

I've read many of the Bellawood horror stories here and elsewhere, also bad reviews, so I'm probably crazy to even consider it. Today I fell in love with the beautiful (and expensive) prefinished Mullican Highland series in 5" plank, American Cherry. Took it over to LL to compare with Bellawood 5" plank American Cherry. Except for the inferior finish and too much shine on the Bellawood they look very much alike. However, I believe if you put the right product on new wood, it will then take a new coat of sealer. I was thinking of putting down the Bellawood and then having it resealed with a more matte finish. What do you think? Hopefully floorguy and boxers will answer.

What is with the little waves on the Bellawood finish? Do you think putting an extra coat will diminish that as well?

Finally, we live in a Dallas suburb. Dallas does get humid in the summer (though not like Houston.) We have a slab. The plan has been plywood over slab, and nail down solid hardwood over that. Now, reading some things here, it looks like maybe engineered would be better in such an application? Even in Dallas? I would still want nail down over the plywood. It feels more like a real floor.

Thanks for any help, and many thanks to all share their info and knowledge here. It is such a great help.

Comments (3)