SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethohio3_gw

TV Newbie: what should we want/get

bethohio3
12 years ago

DH and I are considering getting a new TV setup. Currently, we have a 15 year old 27" old style one, hooked up to a PlayStation 2 (I think), a DVD player, with cable and DVR. So, we're basically starting from scratch.

DH and I do *not* watch TV although my teenager does watch it and movies with friends. We're thinking it'd be nice to be able to watch movies (probably Netflix, maybe as streaming video), although I don't think we'll ever be big TV watchers.

The TV will go where the current one is--in the lower level rec room, which is a big room (more than 22'x26'), 8'7" ceilings, and has daylight windows. My sewing area is at the back of the room. We aren't considering any home theater seating--although a new couch is probably in our future.

We went to Best Buy today just to look around. We didn't come to any firm conclusions, but it appears that we will need:

--TV itself (we're considering 55"-60")

--wall hanging method (we have a bare wall to use)

--some sort of sound system

--at some point, perhaps a Blu Ray player

--at some point, a new piece of furniture for peripherals

I'm looking for advice and opinions for us. We are not audiophiles and don't have a full surround sound system in the house. (Our stereo is older than our TV.) Even if we don't do it immediately, we will probably fish wires as possible--my husband HATES wires.

If we could do the whole thing for $2000, that would probably be about our budget, but could be flexible on that if there was a good reason for it.

So, what basic setup (and any brand advice) would you advise for someone in our position?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone
More Discussions