SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vwbrownthumb

New member - gripping

VWbrownthumb
9 years ago

Hello all - I am so glad I found this group!

I'm sure my problem isn't new or unique, but I'm very alone with it here, and I guess I need someone to notice. Very lonely. See ...

My dad passed 1 1/2 yr ago, Alzheimer's. Mom & I took care of him at home until about the last week. I have always been very close to dad, losing him is the worst thing ever for me. But mom - well, I tolerate her. I really do try to love her, but it's not really there. I treat her with respect, kindness & dignity, and it is against my personal beliefs to abandon her. My bro and sis live 1,000 miles away, without me she'd be left alone and really can't be.

So my problem is - we lost dad and I thought I would never be 'me' again. And ever sense, it's like - everyone assumes I'm ok. Not once has my mom or my sis said one comforting, understanding or thoughtful thing to me about the grief I'm feeling - it's about mom. I know, she lost her husband, I don't think it should be ignored, it's important and I've done lots to help her. Why isn't anyone helping ME? My children and friends are doing their best, without them I'd have no one at all. But my family? No. My brother tries, he really does. But mom & sis -

Am I just really selfish? Do I need to just get it through my head - my mom and sister will not even try to care?

Has anyone ever dealt with this sort of thing who might have some suggestions I could try?

Thanks for you time, I'm glad I found the group,
Virginia

Comments (4)

Sponsored