SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmhall2000

Carpet questions on which kind and stair options

lmhall2000
16 years ago

We've got 2100 sq. feet of carpet that needs to be put in...we're replacing 1000 sq. feet and 1100 is new construction upstairs.

I would like to use a frieze downstairs in 3 bedrooms and a cut pile upstairs...will that look strange? Any tips on what to buy? I'm set on nylon and trying to find weight greater than 50 ounces..probably going with the 6 pound pad.

Secondly, we have stairs going straight up that are boxed and carpeted...we'll have red oak running up to them and I"d love to see if I could get hardwood risers for them...will I have to rip out the current box and just start over? Can I just lay the hardwood top and a thing sheet of paintable plywood or such for the kick part? The only other option I thought of was just using wood matching my kitchen floor on the sides and have a runner installed down the middle to keep people from falling down hardwood stairs. They have berber on their stairs now and it's very worn down and I just don't like the look of all carpeted stairs..any tips on how to handle this? The stairs are enclosed by walls on both sides all the way up..so there are no spindles to deal with..

Thanks!

TAra

Comment

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus