SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
apbnash

Mohawk Smartstrand versus Dupont Stainmaster??

apbnash
14 years ago

I am very much a newbie to the carpet market but have decided it's time for new carpeting, after living with the same off white plush now for nearly nine years. I have four kids (11,9,6 and 2)and currently no pets, although we may get a kitten in a couple of months. (A declawed one).

Anyways, I had someone out from a mom and pop carpet store (friend from church) and he brought several samples. I decided to go with a Frieze. He priced a Shaw Cabina in 100% BCF PET Polyester with Cleartouch. It's a 3.5 for traffic and says 4.87 by 7.25 by the style (not sure if that's significant). It has R2X stain resistancy and comes with a LIFETIME warranty for stains and a 10 year Textureguard warranty. The price is $17.99 a square yard. Also, labor (I think this includes all labor for carpet and pad plus removal of old carpeting)is $5.00 per square yard. Does this sound about right? Is this good carpet??

I also got the price for a new carpet from Mohawk in the Horizon collection. It's 100% Stainmaster Tactesse BCF Nylon. It is $21.99 per sq. yard. 7year stain warranty, 10 year each for texture retention and abrasion. Also, any health concerns with Dupont teflon or is that just myth??

The pad he quoted was a 7/16, 8 lb. for $3.50 a sq. yard. There was another (green) one he brought but it was $4.00 more and I just didn't think it was worth the cost.

But, on here I've been reading a lot about Smartstrand and have asked him to call and give me a quote on that in the morning, if he can get a hold of a sample. Hopefully, he carries or can get that line.

Of these three choices, which would be the best for me? This is for a bonus room, along with my 11 year old daughter's bedroom, which is adjacent.

I'm a bit confused about Smartstrand being Mohawk and the fact it may or may not also be Dupont. It's polyester too, right, although a PTT, not PET poly, whatever that means!

I've heard that Poly's are more stain resistant but more likely to wear while Nylon's are just the opposite and also softer. But, I've also heard that the new Poly's have come a along way and are redeeming themselves. So, what's a mom to do?? Sorry for the length of this post. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (9)