SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinam61

Water activities anyone???

tinam61
12 years ago

I love water! LOL by that I mean the ocean, lakes, rivers, streams, etc. Something so calming and so refreshing about it. If I need to really relax and destress, some time on the water will do it for me. Living here in the South, I can't imagine not spending time in the water during our hot months. Summer has already sprung here - we are 10-15 degrees above our average normal - hitting 95 the last couple of days.

We have a boat and love to get out on the lakes. There are several right in our vicinity. Laying on the back of the boat (hubby most likely fishing) or in my ski tube, with a book or even napping, is my idea of the way to spend a summer day. We are fortunate to live very near the mountains and the mountain streams which come down into the valley - well that is another favorite spot. We can find some nice, secluded spot in the stream, pop in a couple of lounge chairs and cool off. Another fun water activity is "tubing".

Throw in a beach trip or two (although NOT in the summer) and I'm in heaven!!

Anyone else love the water?

tina

Comments (22)

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

I like being out in any kind of boat, but sailing has made me seasick. I love boogie boarding. I think surfing would be heaven, but it requires such skill and athleticism- I would never be able to do it!

I think mostly I love just being around water.

• forhgtv
    12 years ago

As long as I can see a large body of water, I'm happy.

• Related Discussions

Motion-activated water spray animal repellent

Q

Comments (3)
    Yes, I have one around my pond. Lost 2 fish before I got one. They work well but not if you have pets and plan to leave it on 24/7. Birds will also trigger it - which you may not want if you're trying to attract them. And I also agree that if you forget, you'll be squirted too - and anyone else who crosses the path. I only turn mine on at night and early morning. I don't know how your bulbs are planted, but if they're in a grouping, I've found that fencing does help somewhat with squirrels. I'm sure the bulb growers told you to just not plant tulips if you have a big squirrel problem. Plant daffodils, crocus, hyacinth or other bulbs that squirrels avoid. That's what I did and it's really the easiest solution.
    ...See More

I need a thermally activated water valve

Q

Comments (4)
    A sort of expensive source are the valves used in hot-water recirculation systems. They are usually around $65 or so and are generally set to about 90 degrees operation. No electricity needed. Here is a link that might be useful: sensor valve
    ...See More

How much water does it take to activate fertilizer?

Q

Comments (6)
    The good thing about organic fertilizers is it won't burn the yard. You can just wait on mother nature. However, if you want to get it going asap, I would think 1/8 inch is a little shy for most. They will vary on kind. Cracked corn for instance v. soy powder. And how they are milled, etc. Personally, I'd water about a half inch about every third day for three waterings. Of course, as you probably know, it will take a couple of weeks under the best circumstances for organic fertilizer to break down enough to start feeding the plants.
    ...See More

Our activity, has anyone seen this before?

Q

Comments (6)
    Yes, I've seen it many times, particularly with respect to the fodors.com fora. It's always a shock to see how much I post here, depending on what's going on in my decorating universe :-) Other stats just for fun....My smugmug photo site account tracks picture views, and our basement photos were looked at about 150,000 times in a one month span!
    ...See More
  • stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

I have a fish pond which I enjoy! DH built it and maintains it. We've decided the pond puts us on "waterfront" property, LOL!

I appreciate the beauty and tranquilty of bodies of water and water features, but for me, greenery, trees, plants, flowers, create the most inviting, relaxing atmosphere.

Around here though (Southeast VA), water is everything! It's central to so many people's lifestyles and adds tremendous value to property. If you live in a shack on so much as a creek, that kicks the price of your house up substantially.

My sister just bought a house with spectacular water views from each room on the front of her house. The house needs to be completely gutted from top to bottom, which she's currently having done, but she essentially paid for the water view when she bought this place! This is a dream come true for her, and it is where she'll live for the rest of her life.

The water DOES work magic in the hearts and souls of many.

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

Does washing the dogs count? I'm soaking wet right now.

• runninginplace
    12 years ago

If I get started on this topic I'll never stop! However, since a picture is worth a thousand words: Below is a sunset image from the place I go every year on vacation. Vacation from living in an oceanfront city. With a boat. And a husband who lives to boat, dive and swim. And a son who is starting a career as a national park ranger doing ocean patrol. And a daughter who volunteers for beachfront sea turtle nesting surveillance walks.

• runninginplace
    12 years ago

I can't help it! You said the W word Tina, I'm outta control...

Here are my husband and I in the Everglades last winter:

And my son, also in the Everglades on his airboat. He built this himself after I told him he absolutely could not buy an airboat(!)

• tinam61
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Stinky - I love my flowers/trees, etc. too and could not do without. You would love some of the barrier islands we frequent - so lush with foliage (and wildlife).

Running - that airboat is cool!! And i love to canoe! There's a state park where we sometimes camp and I will confess to being addicted to their PADDLEBOATS! Ha!!

My hubby would be green with envy over the park ranger position. The university where I work has a forestry, wildlife and fisheries department which is what students who want to become rangers would go through. I've met a few of our rangers that way but for every open position, there are so many applicants. Congrats to your son for landing his position! He must be very excited.

tina

• golddust
    12 years ago

I grew up near the Yuba River. Spent time there in the winter and lived there every summer. The Yuba River is my church. Luckily the entire river near me is a state park now so it's there forever. People drive for hours to swim in it.

I love the small (no motor boats allowed), high country lakes but large bodies of water scare me. I like the ocean and love exploring ocean life but I'd never swim in it. Give me crystal clear water any pools any day. I like to be able to see into the bottom of water, even if it's 30' deep.

Spent time around water in other places but I decided I'm an a
    elitist. There is so much snow pack this year, it will be mid July before The Yuba is low enough to swim safely this year. I have Tuesday dates with the river as soon as it's swimmable. I anticipate lots of drowning this year. People from out of town don't realize how dangerous the river can be when the snow is melting. (Class 5 river rafting.)

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Runninginplace, that sunset is amazing! Question, what were you two doing in the canoe and why the gloves?

I love the water but I'd rather have lakes, streams, rivers instead of the ocean. We had a place at the beach for years and it was great until it became crowded. I've always like the mountain better anyway. We had a house in CO too and summer always included rafting.

We live on a small lake now and have a canoe. As long as it's not 100, I love to get out on the water. Swimming I'll pass on, but I will stick in my legs, fingers and toes.

• runninginplace
    12 years ago

Allison, we were backcountry canoeing in Everglades National park, back in I think November. The gloves are to avoid blisters and help with grip while paddling.

The sunset picture was taken at Captiva. Am getting ready to reserve for our July visit--I live for that week. It is like a magical bubble of peace and quiet during the hectic year. I start the day on the beach, relax during the heat of the afternoon, then end the day watching the sunset. Cannot wait!

My son is doing a double major in ecosystems science/criminology and will be going into the NPS as a law enforcement ranger. A perfect fit for a kid who was born into a water-loving family, had his first boat trip at 6 weeks and has been in, around and on the water for the entire 22 years since then :).

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Running, is that a snake over your head? HAhaha, you couldn't pay me to go into the Everglades unless I was in a totally enclosed (air conditioned too) boat. Glass bottom would be fine.

But, basically, I like the water, like forhgtv. Preferably a deep lake, in high altitudes (but still Eastern) surrounded by mountains.

We had a very nice boat for several years, but ended up selling it. It just got to be boring, spending the day at the lake. That was years ago and I could go for some of that boring again now but dh is always busy with work.

I don't like public pools (you know why) or the ocean (jellyfish) but I do like hanging out in a beautiful lake on a raft with a good buddy.

• neetsiepie
    12 years ago

Oh man, I am a total water baby. I learned to swim as a small child and luckily we had a swimming pool growing up, since I was in it as much as possible. We also lived in So. Cal, so I swam in the Pacific all the time. I LOVE swimming in the ocean more than anything.

Love all water, and luckily for me, my job brings me to rivers and streams all the time. I literally just got back from being on a river today! It's too raging and rocky to be in, but it was quite soul soothing standing on the banks and feeling the vibrations of the rapids and the roar of the water.

The ocean in Oregon is not meant to be swam in, so I miss that activity terribly, but we have a lot of rivers to swim in, and even a few lakes. If you like being near a lot of water, western Oregon is the place to be!

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

Welll, I swim (a mile at a time now) four times a week in our local pool, and if I don't get my swimming days in, I feel uncomfortable in my skin. I wish I could be near water more--pesky, I'm so jealous of you! I wish I could have a job like yours!! We're so water-deprived we even like the little wetlands lakes in the middle of our town. I thrill when I see a single great blue heron flying over the suburban roads.

SO cool that your son built that airboat, running (or should we call you 'rowinginplace?' :)). Everglades Vice? (I know it must exist...just seemed funny to me : ))

• OllieJane
    12 years ago

Getting ready to leave for Laguna Beach in less than two weeks! We normally stay in Newport Beach but wanted a change. I don't do much water activities but love to be around it and hear it.

• OllieJane
    12 years ago

Will let you know if I see any of the OC Housewives! (For the few of us that watch) Haven't in the past, but never know...

• busybee3
    12 years ago

i love, love, love water!
    my preference is the ocean-love bobbing and body surfing! when i was young, it was my absolute dream to be a shore lifeguard...but, since my family didn't have a house down the shore and didn't encourage me to go anyway, i never applied. then, i went to college quite far from the east coast and that dream went out the window!

i like the excitement of the power of the ocean and the soothing noise of the ocean and the smell of the ocean.
    also, really have found i love white water rafting! (though it's alittle scary sometimes and i'm thinking i'm getting alittle too old for it...)
    but, i do like any water...have done lots of swimming, canoeing and kayaking in my life. have a backyard pool which i love-except when i'm fighting algae or fishing out the dead!

hope to retire near some water, though have no idea where-my husb is not as much of an ocean lover...

• polly929
    12 years ago

I'm with you.

I just booked a sailboat trip around NYC on the Hudson for DH for his father's day present. He is currently restoring a sailboat with one of his buddies and the trip also offers some instruction for the newbie sailor. His friend who is helping him with the boat will also be getting the same present courtesy of his wife for father's day.

Last year I did a triathlon, I had to learn to swim for it. It was an ocean swim on a rough surf day, it was tough but sooo fun! I'm hooked, signed up for 2 more triathlons for this summer. One in the ocean, the other in the bay, can't wait!!

• teacats
    12 years ago

Love the ocean -- fav spots are Ogunquit, Maine or Cape Cod, Mass.

We do have a pool here -- but I'm waiting for the water to heat up a bit (and the courage to put on a swimsuit .... sigh)

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I'm not close to water here in central OK., but after I graduated from H.S., my parents bought a house on the lake, built a pool, bought a large Pontoon boat. Gee, thanks mom and dad for doing it AFTER I moved! lol.

But I learned to water ski and made them take me out several times a day. One time I skiied (sp) to the restaurant on the Cove!

Fishing off their dock was so much fun. Catching Crappie and frying them up for dinner, YUM.

Now it's just the hose. :(

• sis3
    12 years ago

I love water too! I grew up on water.....though that was over 4000 miles from where I live now!

This is my view now.

• tinam61
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Where is that sis? Beautiful views!!

My hubby is fishing tonight. We had our boat serviced and they called today that it is ready! Tomorrow we pick it up and I hope to be floating in my ski biscuit (large tube)this weekend!!

tina

• sis3
    12 years ago

Thanks Tina. Its a lake in central Gulf Coast Florida.

Have a great weekend floating!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living