SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iarsk

Uninterested Grandparents

iarsk
22 years ago

I'm becoming more and more troubled by the behavior of my dad and stepmom towards my children and their other grandchildren. They have five grandchildren under the age of 6 but they don't seem to care very much about any of them.

They live about 5 hours from us. They visited us in April 2001. We visited them in July 2001. We have not seen them since. We planned on spending Christmas with them but they had to cancel because of some work at my dad's office. We were planning to go visit them this weekend, but they've cancelled again. They have a good reason this time so I do understand.

They rarely call. At one point a couple years ago, I started counting the number of telephone conversations I had with my dad when he didn't ask about my kids. My son was 3 and my daughter was only a few months old. I think I got up to 8 conversations before I finally broke down and told him about it and how much it bothered me. Now he usually remembers to inquire about how they're doing.

When we do see them, there always seems to be something critical said. From "innocent" comments like "Don't worry -- ALL children manipulate their parents" to more confrontational situations like "We're concerned that you're not willing to discuss to Mary's problems."

My husband and I are firm parents and our children are very bright and well-behaved. Daycare teachers, babysitters and friends talk about my son's good manners, his long attention span and his ability to learn; they talk about the special spark in my daughter's eyes, her energy and joy, how quickly she's learning potty-training, etc.

Their other grandparents (my mother and my in-laws) realize that these kids are special and do take time for them even though they're farther away.

I know that my dad and stepmom have their own lives to live and I don't fault them for thinking they're too busy. I was very close to both of them (especially my dad), but this has been driving a wedge in our relationship since my son was born. It just hurts my heart that they're missing out on a fantastic relationship with some really wonderful children.

Is there anything I can do to spark an interest?

Comments (19)

Sponsored