SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnny_gw

Medical Bill Advice?

sunnny
15 years ago

I'm new this area of GW and just recently started reading this forum. My story is this: Several years ago I was hit by a nearly drunk driver (would have been arrested had it been ONE week later when the legal alcohol limit went down) He passed in a no passing zone and hit me so hard it shot the tire off the axil. He had $20,000 insurance which was gone the first night and my hospital bills at discharge were over $250,000 and rose to somewhere around $500,000 or more. He hit me at 90mph and our combined speed was over 120mph. I sustained several life threatening injuries and a head injury which I've over come. My personal health inurance now covers a portion of my bills but each time I had or still need to go to the Doctor or need medications, etc it costs me and I will be paying for this for the rest of my life. I spent 2 weeks in ICU then a month on the regular floor then 6 month of rehab learning to walk and do the daily things in life.

I've negotiated with the hospital to pay many of the bills at a lower agreed on rate but is there anything else I can do? It is totally ovewhelming at times. I get several medical bills EVERY DAY even now. I need to save for my daughters college and have dreams of better things in life for me and my family but with these bills hanging over our heads there's times it seems out of reach. How can someone ever get ahead with a debt of now $400,000??? What is so sad is that I now work as a nurse in a trauma office and see patients every day who don't even pay their bills or have no inurance and can't pay but since I have a job and have a strong belief in paying my debts I continue to pay $25.00 here and there to everyone. It's who is hounding me the most that gets paid that day.

In the past we have not lived on a budget but last year we began a simple one which helped and our plans are to do an even better job this coming year. My hubbie makes fair income ($80,000) and I work part time as a nurse. I don't make much money but physically it would be difficult for me to work full time. I have some permanent injuries but am not ready to file for disability since I am able to work.

Do you have any sugestions or ideas as to how to pay these or ways to not pay them but still be able to sleep at night? There are days I handle the burden very well but days like today - Christmas - I realize we could be doing much better if it weren't for the tradegy caused by someone else and these days I have a harder time. We hired an attorney after the accident but the man who hit me owned nothing so there was nothing to sue him for. Our underinsured auto insurance paid us a small cash amount which of course went mostly to bills and I started an IRA (very small one) and a college fund for my daughter with the rest. Where do I go from here? How can I ever see day light??

What credit cards we had we no longer use unless it's an absolute necessity. We had several home repairs hit us last year - the AC went out in August, Ike hit us hard and we had to pay the deductable for home repairs, a hail storm tore up my fence and shed and roof so another deductable and had 2 cars broken into 2 different times causing us to pay the deductable each time and we ran out of anything saved up) but otherwise try not to use credit cards at all. My daughter is 16 and although she can work she helps me ALOT at home when I'm not feeling well or having a hard day. She makes very good grades and is a wonderful girl. She has a horse and barrel races which I'm hoping will help her with scholarships and hopefully she won't have to work right now. I'm VERY blessed to have her.

OK... so a long story but would love some input or suggestions as to what I can do if anything to help my situation.

Thank you so much,

Sunny

Comments (11)

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My first thought was that this is why you have uninsured motorist coverage. Then I see that you were paid something from your insurance company. So my next thought is did you settle for too little from your insurance company? Did you work with an attorney to make sure you got everything you deserved from YOUR insurance company? Insurange companies are of course in business to make money and not to look out for your best interests. I would try to see if there is anything more you can pursue with your insurance company.

If that is not possible then I'd think long and hard about what I could pay and not have my entire life devasted. I'd then write up a synopsis of the situation and proposal for what I could pay (say X per month for X years for a total of X). And then I'd present that to whoever I owed and say this is it - this is all I can do and all I'm going to do. See if they will accept and write-off the rest of it. They write off bad debt all the time. I would press very hard to get them to accept the reduced payment. If they do not I'd still just pay whatever modest amount I could on a regular schedule over the long term - knowing the debt may never really get settled. I would pay regularly - not sporadically - and I'd not lose sleep over it.

Yours is a difficult situation - reminds all of us how quickly life could take a very devastating turn.

• ladytexan
    15 years ago

Bless you heart!!

I don't know what to tell you, except check to see if you have gotten everything from your insurance you can.

Talk with your doctor, drug companies have programs that give medications free for some people.

You know, it might be worth the expense to find an attorney who specializes in debt problems and have a talk about it.

• Related Discussions

Apartment Water Bill Issue (Need Advice)

Q

Comments (1)
    You should carefully read your lease and determine if there is any discussion as to how these disputes are resolved. Failing that, Florida and/or Miami may have some department that deals with landlord/tenant relations. They may be able to provide some guidance. Since you mention being a student, I seem to remember that my college had some kind organization that helped with landlord/tenant relations as well. As for the water bill, it sounds like your landlord is re-billing for the water authority. Do they send you an actual copy of the bill? It's a fairly common for public utilities to estimate usage, sometimes erroneously. Over or under usage estimates are usually corrected with the next billing cycle when the meter is actually read. The position of the meter may be an issue and you should check with the water authority.
    ...See More

DIY mudroom tile - subfloor advice needed (Bill V, Mongo, etc.)

Q

Comments (2)
    Also, I know we can't put down SLC over the glue that's on the slab currently. Frankly, I'm concerned about using SLC successfully anyhow - we have two doorways and two staircases to work around. Can we do something else to level the floor? It's not terribly uneven. What about installing cement board with thinset? We could use the Laticrete 254 Platinum (or whatever product you recommend) and level the floor with the thinset. Would that work? I don't think cement board is normally recommended for concrete floors, but if it's feasible I think it might be the best bet.
    ...See More

Medical Billing Software - Online Billing Programs

Q

Comments (1)
    So very kind of you to share.
    ...See More

Electric Bills are Crazy, need advice!!

Q

Comments (323)
    This is a two year old post.. I was just thinking about it recently and wondered what the original poster had discovered. I wish people would come back and share their outcome after getting so much help/advice from the people on this site.
    ...See More
  • mariend
    15 years ago

You might talk to a lawyer specializing in these types of situations. You mentioned it happened several years ago. Is the person around, still driving, working, etc? Could you go back to HIS insurance, not yours for additional help? You may not get the bills ever paid off, but are you checking each one? Did you get the services you were charged for? Do you get the services at one center or several? Have you talked to the person in charge of billing at the medical centers. Are there services charges being added? Have some like a financial counsleour go over the bills and make sure the medical offices are not double billing and/or double charging. They do this a lot and my Blue Cross is always dening the charges because they will submit a charge, change the code slightly and re-submit it. Yes this will take time, but might be worth it in the long run.
    If you are doing the best you can, and paying something on each bill, they are not allowed to harrass you. Make sure the bills from before are complety paid off and the medical offices sends you letters and statements showing this information. Be firm, polite but inist that these bills are really yours and not "plumped" up.
    Good luck.

• bill_h
    15 years ago

this guy that hit you, did he have anything else of value that you could go after, house, retirement plan, 401k ??? if so get a lawyer and go get it.

• fandlil
    15 years ago

Retirement assets are often beyond reach, but other assets might be up for grabs. You should go for it.

• dreamgarden
    15 years ago

This might be of help.

"2. Negotiate Your Hospital Bill

For patients with insurance, the hospital co-pay or deductible can represent a very large amount of money. Some insurance companies will deduct this amount from the hospital's contracted rate. The unpaid portion is then your responsibility.

Here's a fact many hospitals won't openly admit: They're often willing to waive or reduce an account balance if a patient can demonstrate that the co-pay or deductible is a hardship. But you have to ask.

"The patient can go back to an account administrator and say, 'This is really difficult for me. Is there anything you can do?' And we can," says Ruth Levin, vice president for managed care at Continuum Health Partners in New York City. "The number of payers, including patients and insurance plans, who pay hospitals 100 percent of our charges is probably less than 2 percent."

*Save 10 to 30 percent"

A link that might be useful:

Save Thousands On Your Health Care
    10 Surprising -- and Easy -- Ways to Trim Costs on Everything From Your Yearly Physical to Specialized Surgery
    By JULIAN KESNER-ABC News-Prevention
    June 20, 2008

abcnews.go.com/images/Health/prevention_080619_mn.jpg

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

You won't like this answer, but here goes--declare personal bankruptcy. It's not likely that you're going to ever pay off $400,000 worth of medical bills. You can try to negotiate with the hospital, esp. if you can get a reporter involved, so as to try to shame them into cutting down the bill.

Or if you tell the hospital that they can settle for a reasonable amount or you'll declare bankruptcy. Are the bills in your name only?

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    15 years ago

Try this. Call an insurance adjuster to work on your behalf. they get paid a maximum percentage by law
    get in touch with your state insurance board and ask them what the law allows in your state.
    maybe they have a list of licensed adjusters to send you.

lawyers are not always a solution.

the adjuster will take less of a percentage by law than the attorney in addition how to get more money from the insurance company.

• sunnny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I hope everyone had a great Christmas. I've been busy with family and finally had time to read everyone posts and can't tell you THANK YOU enough.
    I will re-read each word and then write down your ideas and go from there. I will speak to my hubbie about your suggestions and see where we go from here. I can tell you the hospital has worked with us some to reduce the bills but ONLY after they put a lien on my house. That is another long story - my Uncle called me several months after the accident to tell me the hospital had put a lien on my home. What they said is my insurance didn't pay them so I would be responsible for the WHOLE amount. YES.. that was their explanation. The hospital claimed the insurance never paid them. My insurance company said they never got a bill until Jan which was 6 months after. The insurance required the hospital to submit bills within 90 days. The hospital said they faxed the bills - but that the insurance refused to pay off of a faxed bill. My insurance company said they pay off of faxed bills all the time. The hospital then said they sent a bill via a certified postal letter with a requested receipt upon delivery but when the attorney asked for the copy of this and also requested copies from the post office there was NOT ANYTHING. The hospital brought their big attorneys from Houston and my little attorney took it to Federal Court (So as to get a fair trial and not have the Judges playing golf with the lawyers, etc) and it was settled very soon. It was a horrible mess. I never dreamed I could take on a huge hospital but it can be done.
    As one persom said "Life can change in an instant"
    I don't want to declare bankrupcy - just my personal feelings. That would be my last resort but at least it could be an option if all else fails. Our underinsured coverage was $50,000 which if given to a person in normal circumstances sounds like a lot of money but half went to medical bills, the rest bought a 3 year old Nissan and the rest started an IRA and my daughters college fund. If I had a do-over I would have taken that money and moved to a small Island and started over there.(Not really but it sounds good)
    Anyway, thank you again.
    Sunny

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    15 years ago

I am afraid that I still don't understand what happened--did your insurance pay any of the hospital's expenses? It sounds to me like you need to go after your insurance co. too. & I don't understand why your uncle knew about the lien before you (not that I need to know) Did you have health insurance or only just your auto insurance?

For the company to escape responsibility just because it says it didn't get the bills by a certain deadline sounds like attorney bait to me!!

Most every hospital communicates electronically with insurance companies these days. Although with some insurance companies/plans it is your responsibility to file with the insurance. And the bills would have started to go out before you were even discharged. Unless you were in some tiny place that is still operating like they did in the 1970's. But you said it was a big hospital.

The local hospitals here put a notice and spplication on the back of every bill for how to get financial aid. I realise that doesn't happen everywhere, and different states have different resources. For example, my state has a fund for assisting victims. Maybe yours does too.

I appreciate your desire to provide for your daughter's education (been there) but she may have to do what many do--pay her own way. Does she pay for the horse and riding activities?

You chose to use half of your insurance reimbursement ($25000) for other things, so if you really aren't comfortable with that decision, perhaps you need to revisit it. Do you have other sources of retirement (your husbands job, is there a pension or 401k?)You may qualify for financial hardship withdrawal, but that would be my last resort.

Another thought--partial disablility? if you are limited in how much you can work, compared to before the accident?

I REALLY admire your desire to be financially responsible for these bills. This is the kind of catastrophic expense that no one is really prepared for. Wish I had a solution for you. Good luck.

• kittiemom
    15 years ago

I'm also confused as to what happened. Did you have health ins. at that time in addition to your auto ins? If so, it should have started picking up the bills that the auto ins. didn't pay. Also, the hospital needs to prove that they got the bills in to the first payer (your ins. company) on time. If they failed to meet the deadline, then they would have to write the bills off, not come after you. It is their responsibility to send the bills to the ins. company on time (unless your state laws are different from mine). My mom had cancer & was going to Duke University for treatment. She had excellent coverage & had primary & secondary policies. We got a letter after she died telling my dad that he owed them a lot of money. The ins. company said that that Duke had never submitted the bills to them. We got an attorney involved & they finally admitted that they had discovered the error & we just trying to get paid. They wrote everything off.

Sponsored
More Discussions